My grandma has been having problems with my grandfather's computer. I went up there and it would boot to a screen saying Boot Failure: System Halted. I immediately go for the CMOS battery and get a replacement. Teh next time I booted the computer it worked fine, but a few more boot ups afterwards and the same message came up. I went into the boot setup and took a look at the event log and it said CMOS Battery Failure when I had replaced the battery recently. Just to be sure I put in the other battery I had in case I put in the dead battery by accident, and it still came up with the same message. Am I missing a step in the replacement process or something? I just pop the side of the case off and take the old battery out and stick the new battery in.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Please check the jumper settings on the mother board, wherther it is in the reset mode or not and once clean the battery terminals too....

Please check the jumper settings on the mother board, wherther it is in the reset mode or not and once clean the battery terminals too....

Did all of that, but no go. Thankfully, I eventually realized that Norton goback was on it, which I promptly disabled. I guess it was messing with the MBR or something. Its working fine now, but my hate for all things Norton grows with every computer I encounter.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.