i would just like to point out that im not sure where im to post this so if this is the wrong place then could someone reply telling me where to post it ? Thanks

Hello people, im new to computers, i don't really have a clue what people are talking about when i read some of the posts!:-|

I have two questions which i would really apreciate someone answering for me ! :-)

First of, my computer isn't brilliant, it runs, does what i need it to do (except when it comes to gaming!)
I only have 256mb of RAM and ive found that games don't run to well with this. I know you can buy RAM etc but i also know that you have to by the right kind, I know that my computer has only 2 slots to fill with RAM, and that the maximum installable amount is 512mb. I know this isnt brilliant but hey, it's better then 256mb. Any way, i need to know what RAM i can buy which will work with the computer, as im pretty sure you cannot just buy any and slot it in correct?

Here are some details about my computer incase you need them to help me:

System:
Manufacturer: Time Computers
Model: MS6378
Mainboard:

Mainboard:
Manufacturer: Microstar Internnational co...
Chipset: VIA kt 133/a

System Memory Controller:
No of Memory slots: 2
Maximum Installable Memory: 512mb
Bank 0/1 - BANK 0 = DIMM 256mb
Bank 2/3 - BANK 1 = Empty

I dont know if you needed to know any of that but just incase

And i would also like to know, how do i find out if my computer is compatable certain graphics cards, as id like to get one ( Im still using the 8mb Intergrated graphics card it came with!!!!)

I would like to know how i can find out what i can install for both of these...

Also i would just like to point out that im not sure where im to post this so if this is the wrong place then could someone reply telling me where to post it ? Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Your post is OK in this forum, and here is some info:

1. Both the MSI 6378 motherboard model line, and the VIA KT133A chipset it uses, can actually support more than 512MB of RAM, but since your particular version of the mobo seems to have only 2 physical slots, 512Mb is all you get. The individual memory sticks are 168-pin 256MB PC100/133 SDRAM modules; pretty standard stuff.

2. The mobo doesn't have an AGP slot, so you're stuck with only PCI video cards as an alternative to the on-board video. PCI cards are getting harder to find, but the reviews in this article might help you find a PCI video card that fits your needs:
http://compreviews.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.sudhian.com/showdocs.cfm%3Faid=445

do a gogle for crucial ram (i think its uk only but it has a wizardm you tell it your pc model and it tells you whether you need matching sticks or not and how many slots you have and whats the max ram you can have)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.