HI, I'm building a computer and is doing this for experiment and learning. I'm getting ready to install the motherboard in the case. I was told NOT to use washer for motherboard and was told TO use it? I am confused on what to do about it. I have setup standoffs etc.. and getting ready to screw mobo in til this came up?

Recommended Answers

All 96 Replies

Are you talking about using washers under the heads of the screws to attach the motherboard?

If so, it shouldn't really matter as long as you don't overtighten the screws. Using washers, however, or screws with wide heads will reduce the chance of damage.

Oh! Good question!

My thoughts are that you should NEVER use metal washers of any form when fitting a motherboard.

If you are using a case which has metal 'stand-offs', I'd advise that you religiously use fibre washers between the stand-off and the underside of the motherboard.

Also be careful that you use screws that don't have large heads for locations where the circuitboard tracks come realy close to the mounting hole.

Oh! Good question!

My thoughts are that you should NEVER use metal washers of any form when fitting a motherboard.

If you are using a case which has metal 'stand-offs', I'd advise that you religiously use fibre washers between the stand-off and the underside of the motherboard.

Also be careful that you use screws that don't have large heads for locations where the circuitboard tracks come realy close to the mounting hole.

How can you get fibre washers to stay in place on the metal standoffs while putting the motherboard in place? Glue them on?

Maybe I haven't seen enough motherboards, but all of them I've seen have large bonded surfaces, larger than any screw head would ever be.

But that does bring up another point, if the mounting holes are bonded, using a non-metal washer would prevent the board from being grounded properly.

I always use screws that have a head that looks like it has a washer, but it's actually all one piece.

How can you get fibre washers to stay in place on the metal standoffs while putting the motherboard in place? Glue them on?

Maybe I haven't seen enough motherboards, but all of them I've seen have large bonded surfaces, larger than any screw head would ever be.

But that does bring up another point, if the mounting holes are bonded, using a non-metal washer would prevent the board from being grounded properly.

I always use screws that have a head that looks like it has a washer, but it's actually all one piece.

You fit the motherboard very carefully! :D

Angle it as you put the thing in place, and don't let it come down onto the stand-offs until the rear connectors are in place in the backplate. Hold a bit of presure back on the spring-clips of the rear panel while you're bringing the mobo down onto the standoffs. When you get it in place hold it there and insert one or two screws and tighten them. With luck, you'll only have moved the washers a tiny bit, and you can work them back into place by using a pointed tool (or smalls jewellers screwdriver) down through the screwhole.

Grounding should not be a problem. If you use the correct screws, you'll notice that the motherboard is grounded from the screwhead to the case chassis.

You fit the motherboard very carefully! :D

Angle it as you put the thing in place, and don't let it come down onto the stand-offs until the rear connectors are in place in the backplate. Hold a bit of presure back on the spring-clips of the rear panel while you're bringing the mobo down onto the standoffs. When you get it in place hold it there and insert one or two screws and tighten them. With luck, you'll only have moved the washers a tiny bit, and you can work them back into place by using a pointed tool (or smalls jewellers screwdriver) down through the screwhole.

Grounding should not be a problem. If you use the correct screws, you'll notice that the motherboard is grounded from the screwhead to the case chassis.

Hi, Before I installed the mobo in, I see that there was already 4 "standoffs" in place so I just had to installed 2 more for one end of mobo. Then I placed the mobo down with ease and placed that red washer (assuming thats fibre washer you all talking about?)down then used screws with big head to secure the mobo. I am hoping I got this right. I wanted to know if you could attach some kind of photos or something step by step of whats it's supposed to look like in correct wayso I can make sure I got it right? Thanks!

I'm talking about using those 'red washers' between the motherboard and the standoff. Only if the standoff is a metal one though. It's not mandatory to do so, but it's a sensible thing to do.

On the topside of your motherboard, around the mounting holes, you may find there's a metal 'ring', which the screw head touches when it's screwed down. That should be no problems, as the board will 'ground' to the chassis through the screw.

Simply make sure that you don't allow any screw to overlap any electronic 'tracks' on the motherboard, and all should be well. (That's the reason I like to ensure that the underside is protected.)

Errm....I just stick the motherboard on top of the metal risers and screw in. Easy done.

You're an unnecessarily fussy old prick Catweazle (hey, his words, not mine!). :D

Hey! I said that on MSN.. How'd it get here?

He's quite right, Squirty. I'm probably an overly cautious person. Use commonsense, make sure that you don't damage the circuit board, and all should be well :D

Hey! I said that on MSN.. How'd it get here?

He's quite right, Squirty. I'm probably an overly cautious person. Use commonsense, make sure that you don't damage the circuit board, and all should be well :D

Hi, So Since the red washer is on the top side of mobo, I'm good to go? Getting ready to turn it on and see how it goes.

The most important thing is ensuring you haven't dropped any screws 'n' such down in there and screwed the motherboard down on top of them :)

The most important thing is ensuring you haven't dropped any screws 'n' such down in there and screwed the motherboard down on top of them :)

No I didnt drop any down there. Now one last thing, Here's what got me kind of stumped. I was connecting wirings and cables etc.. until I ran in to this "Yellow/Black" wire coming from fan. I know for a fact that I never seen that before so I did a little research in hope to find the answer what it was for and still cannot find what that is for. Hope you can help me with that last puzzle.

Hi, So Since the red washer is on the top side of mobo, I'm good to go? Getting ready to turn it on and see how it goes.

Catweazle, if the red (fiber) washer is on the top side of the mobo, under the screw head, how can it ground properly?

Coming from WHAT fan?

Most fans are either two wire (red/black) or 3 wire (red/yellow/black). The yellow wire is used to monitor fanspeed. Can't help you until I know where that fan is located, I'm afraid.

Another point. Use the commonsense approach to connecting and testing. Initial;ly, have only the cpu and heatsink/fan, front panel connectors, power unit cable, video card, one RAM module, monitor and keyboard connected up. Make sure that BIOS completes its POST test. Then add/connect other components one by one, to make sure all is working. If you connect everything at once, and it doesn't work, you can spend ages of trial and error to find the problem ;)

Careful initially can avoid headaches later!

Catweazle, if the red (fiber) washer is on the top side of the mobo, under the screw head, how can it ground properly?

good point! If it doesn't power up, best to remove those washers, eh?

Coming from WHAT fan?

Most fans are either two wire (red/black) or 3 wire (red/yellow/black). The yellow wire is used to monitor fanspeed. Can't help you until I know where that fan is located, I'm afraid.

Another point. Use the commonsense approach to connecting and testing. Initial;ly, have only the cpu and heatsink/fan, front panel connectors, power unit cable, video card, one RAM module, monitor and keyboard connected up. Make sure that BIOS completes its POST test. Then add/connect other components one by one, to make sure all is working. If you connect everything at once, and it doesn't work, you can spend ages of trial and error to find the problem ;)

Careful initially can avoid headaches later!

Opps! Its from the case fan, coming out like those wiring for power etc.. Seeing it has like 2 yellow wires and 2 black wires all connected to one connector?

What sort of connector? Molex, 3 pin, what? Has the case you have got a front or rear fan controller? A monitor panel? Bit hard to answer your question, I think, as that wiring does not follow any standard scheme.

What sort of connector? Molex, 3 pin, what? Has the case you have got a front or rear fan controller? A monitor panel? Bit hard to answer your question, I think, as that wiring does not follow any standard scheme.

Let me see if I can take a pix of it and attach it in here so U can see what I am talking about ok

Sooner the better. It's 1.30 am here and I'm hanging to get to bed :D

Sooner the better. It's 1.30 am here and I'm hanging to get to bed :D

Hi, It dont have any controller on this case. Here's the pixes. Hope it helps and that you can see it clearly.

That lead and connector is coming from the power supply unit, not from a fan, isn't it? Tuck the thing away somewhere out of the way and forget about it, unless there is a relevent socket on your motherboard for it. (What make/model motherboard do you have, by the way).

Some motherboards make use of the connector to supply extra power for fans, etc. Some don't. If you don't need it then don't use it :)

That lead and connector is coming from the power supply unit, not from a fan, isn't it? Tuck the thing away somewhere out of the way and forget about it, unless there is a relevent socket on your motherboard for it. (What make/model motherboard do you have, by the way).

Some motherboards make use of the connector to supply extra power for fans, etc. Some don't. If you don't need it then don't use it :)

its coming from power supply area. The motherboard is Mach Speed V2MDMP KM266 PRo Socket A Motherboard (M450-2016 ) and Mercury Mid Tower Case w/ 300W,Keyboad,Mouse,Speak (K13-1300 C ). Hope this helps.

That's a P4 12v power connector. Since you don't have a P4 system, then you can do as Catweazle suggested and tuck it away.

Personally, I bundled mine up and wrapped it with a zip-tie, so it was tidy in my case.

By the way, The manual book for the motherboard or tower didnt even mention that yellow/black wiring. Thats what got me stumped. I'm guessing its for something like fan cooling monitoring or something?

By the way, The manual book for the motherboard or tower didnt even mention that yellow/black wiring. Thats what got me stumped. I'm guessing its for something like fan cooling monitoring or something?

Ok Gtreat! I like to keep things tidy as well. I'm going to double check everything and make sure all is well before turning on computer and I'll let you know how it goes in little while. THANKS alot for your time with me you all.!:mrgreen:

HI, Not looking good here. When I turned on the tower, I see led lights coming on etc.. but monitor saying its not connected and /or no power to it from tower?

HI, Not looking good here. When I turned on the tower, I see led lights coming on etc.. but monitor saying its not connected and /or no power to it from tower?

Hi, I took out those red washers and set the motherboard on anti-static bag and tried to see if it CPU fan spins and it didnt. I am thinking of it could be bad power supply? Or Do I have to reset the jumpers on mobo?

Reset CMOS.

Have CPU with Heatsink/fan, One RAM module, and the vid card fitted. Check, recheck and double check the front panel connectors. Nothing else fitted or connected to the motherboard at all. That's a 'bare-bones' configuration. (If the motherboard has onboard video, use that rather than an add-in card.

Hook up the keyboard and monitor, power up, see if it POSTs. If not, check the front panel connectors again. You might even have a connector (such as Power LED) reversed on the board, stopping it from POSTing.

Reset CMOS.

Have CPU with Heatsink/fan, One RAM module, and the vid card fitted. Check, recheck and double check the front panel connectors. Nothing else fitted or connected to the motherboard at all. That's a 'bare-bones' configuration. (If the motherboard has onboard video, use that rather than an add-in card.

Hook up the keyboard and monitor, power up, see if it POSTs. If not, check the front panel connectors again. You might even have a connector (such as Power LED) reversed on the board, stopping it from POSTing.

Yeah I am going to double check everything. Yeah It's a barebone kit. It has onboard video. I was thkining that it didnt matter if wires were reversed or not. It'd still work? I also am going to recheck the jumpers on mobo to make sure its right settings etc. Not much there to check actually lol but gonna do it anyway to make sure.

You'll find that the most common source of the problem when a system inexplicably fails to power up id the Power LED connector being reversed. In fact, it's quite crucial to have the front panel connectors correctly attached, as the various wires on the connectors have specific purposes. All connectors should be facing the same direction.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.