hey all

just new here, having a 'pain-in-the-ass' problem regarding my external hard drive.
thing is i'm trying to connect this usb drive to my dvd recorder. therefore , it has to be formatted in fat32, and recognized by windows as a mass storage device (or removable media). that last one is the tricky one.
when i plug in my mp3 player or my camera, they are recognized as such, but this usb hdd is regognized as hard disk drive. when i compare the properties of both in system configuration, the type of volume of the mp3 player is 'removable' where the type of volume of the usb hdd is 'standard' ...
my guess is that it should work fine, connected in my dvd recorder, when the thing is configured as removable...
have been looking already for tools, tricks, firmwares ... found no info regarding my problem, only 1 guy who had the same question.
so , please ... if anyone's got any clue ... plzzzz help

greetz, mooosjef

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

What happens when you plug it in without those other devices installed. Don you still get the little icon with the Green Arrow in the taskbar at the bottom that says "Safely Remove Hardware" when you pass the mouse over it?
I do not understand why it has to be formatted as FAT 32.
Tell us brand and model, OS, and when purchased.

What happens when you plug it in without those other devices installed. Don you still get the little icon with the Green Arrow in the taskbar at the bottom that says "Safely Remove Hardware" when you pass the mouse over it?
I do not understand why it has to be formatted as FAT 32.
Tell us brand and model, OS, and when purchased.

I am also having the same problem, using xp pro i am using ntfs not fat 32. i have three drives and the only one that works correctly is the maxtor one touch. the other drives are eide, which are in a usb case.
they did work when i first hookes them up, but all of a sudden they stopped working. when i try to access them i get the message insrt disc.
so i am also having a simulsr problem

frank

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.