I signned up to this forum yesterday because I finished building a computer. However... when I plugged it in and turned it on, the green light on the CD ROM and the little LCD screen on the front was blinking really fast and the meters on it showed that the HD was working, then it wasn't working. The monitor was black, the BIOS didn't come up.
There wasn't any beeping at all. Then suddenly there wasn't any power... I left it alone until this morning when I hooked it up, there was power, the little LCD screen was lit up, no blinking and of course the CD ROM drive was blinking. So then I turned it off, unplugged it to bring it over to a monitor. I plugged in the tower before plugging in the monitor to see if it would turn on and it didn't turn on.

So what I did next was I took out my power supply and put it in another computer, and it worked. I put it back into my computer and it doesn't work even if it isn't connected to anything. Could the case be shorting out the power supply? Because at this point I'm not exactly sure what to do at all. If anyone can help me, I'd appreciate it. Specs are as followed...

Power Up Silver Mid Tower with ATX 400 watt power supply
Biostar GeForce6100-M7 nVidia Socket 754 Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ NewCastle Core Socket 754 CPU
Fanner Tech AMD K8 Cooler Fan
2 Ultra 512 PC3200 DDR 400MHZ CL3
Western Digital 160GB Hard Drive

If any other imformation is needed, let me know.

If you really have the beeper, try this:

Unplugg EVERYTHING except CPU and power switch. (no video, memory drives...)

You should hear either 1 long and 2 shorrt beeps (no video card signal) or repetative short beeps (no memory). Beep codes may be different.

If you don't have the beeper, you'll have to use the VGA to see if there's any video feedback. Good thing would be to test the video card and monitor on another system. Although, you can try without VGA just to see if there is any change in behaviour.

If you don't get anything, doublecheck the power supply connections to the mobo. If that is not the reason, than it's either faulty mobo or (I suspect) CPU.

P.S.

Nice thing about new bits is warranty.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.