Hello - long time reader, first time poster,

I own a HP Pavilion a562n, and recently my power supply light has been blinking and clicking without any boot up.

I unplugged all the power cables in the computer, and checked the power supply. Without the cables the power supply light is solid green.

After plugging in all my other cables, I found that when the main power cable going to the motherboard is plugged in, the light blinks, and when it isn't, the light stays solid.

What does this confirm?

If you need any other information, just ask and I will keep you posted!

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

You are unable to boot up, correct?
Is there a switch on the PSU?
Did you try switching it off?
Did you try unplugging the whole thing off the A/C power?

Looks like your PSU has shorting protection that is activated. Only way to reset it is to unplugg the mains.

1. You are unable to boot up, correct?
2. Is there a switch on the PSU?
3. Did you try switching it off?
4. Did you try unplugging the whole thing off the A/C power?

Looks like your PSU has shorting protection that is activated. Only way to reset it is to unplugg the mains.

1. Correct, I am unable to boot up.
2. Yes, I know of the 115/230 switch.
3. I made sure that it is activated to North American 115V, by switching to 230 waiting 5 seconds and switching it back till it clicks.
4.Tryed unplugging it, plugging it in different outlets, as well as either directly into a outlet or through a surge protector.

So my best bet is to buy a new power supply?

When I said "switch", I ment "on/off switch", not the voltage selector.

You must be certain that the PSU is one that's toasted. There could be number of reasons why your machine won't boot. PSU is the cheapet one. Good thing now would be warranty.

commented: Helped with my decision to buy a new PSU. +1

Thanks Chaky,

I'm going to buy a replacement PSU, to be certain that swapping out the PSU will help. If not then I will bring it to my local repair shop.

Update:
A new PSU solved the problem!

Thanks Chaky!

Glad to hear it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.