Geesh, the title just about says it all.

I know its an older machine and good for about nothing, but all we use it for is storage. I know its there, cuz I see it on my network, but I don't have anything shared that I need to get off before I chuck it out the window!

I made a change in setup while troubleshooting a cdrom problem and at first XP would still come up, then the monitor would kick on but after a reboot, I can't even see the setup screen so I can change it back, and now the monitor won't even come on with the os.

I know I've gotten out of a jam like this before, I just don't remember what I did.

This Gateway I think a 400mhz had no "reset" jumper on the board whatsoever and I've tried everything battery pulled out, etc, etc, etc.

I know someone on this board will help, been watchin ya's for a while and you all got it going on!!!

Before I pull anymore hair out-----HELP!

Thanks!

I gotta go setup an avatar and profile and all that now!!!!

T

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

So the problem is that you can't go into setup because the monitor doesn't come on?

Do you get any beeps when you turn the pc on?

So the problem is that you can't go into setup because the monitor doesn't come on? CORRECT!

No abnormal beeps.
It'll go right where its supposed to go because it'll show up on the network.

Originally the monitor wouldn't come on just while booting up.
Once XP started, it would kick the monitor on. Well of course while troubleshooting it through XP, I restarted and now XP won't even turn it on.

Thanks for looking/replying!!!

Actually, its like working blind.

If someone had the same machine and could walk me through "setup" once entered, back to defaults, i.e. right 3, down 3, F10, enter, enter, or whatever it is, It would solve the problem. Make sense?

Thanks Peops!!!

T

So the problem is that you can't go into setup because the monitor doesn't come on?

Ok, because I can't quit screwing around with it,

Getting 2 beeps on startup now!

I dont quite rember what beeps were what but im pretty sure 2 beeps is ram. check that your ram chip/s are in place firmly and correctly.

I dont quite rember what beeps were what but im pretty sure 2 beeps is ram. check that your ram chip/s are in place firmly and correctly.

Thanks for the try. But if ram was never moved/changed it probably wouldn't move/change on its own......

I guess I don't get why XP isn't bringing up the video like it was in the past. The computer is fully operational i.e. its on the network. If I had the hd's shared I wouldn't care, because I could get whats stored on them over the network.

Another idea I had was,
The windows key brings up the start bar right.
The R key after that brings up the run command.
Isn't there something I can put into this line that would turn my screen back on. Even though I can't see what I'm typing I know somethings going into this. Live a generic driver from a floppy or something????

Of course now its a challenge, I think thats what keeps me going on it.
I could just rip out the hd's, put them into the machine I'm on and get the info but that would be boring....lol

T

The only other thing that i can think of that u could try is a new graphics card does not have to be anything fancy jsut enough to bring up a picture or if you are running Xp then you could try using remote desktop to access the machine. the only problem with this is that it would have to be enabled in oder to do it

Your talkin Remote Assistance.
Remote Desktop is for networking and that machine would need XP Pro to be able to do it.

But.... The graphics card may be a good idea... I probably have another in another machine I could do.

Thanks for the tips!

Anyone else?!?!?!?

T

OK! I'm In!

The machine had a video card put in it, on top of the on board video card.

Wish, I'd a thought of that before:mrgreen:

Pulled the monitor, plugged into the on board card and monitor kicked on. Puter was in safe mode.....

Now what do I do...lol

Obviously I've shared everything in the world so's I can get the files I wanted!

Scared to reboot in case it all goes black again!

T

reboot it it will boot back up sounds as though the onboard video got changed to VGA in bios you will be okay.when it boots let it boot to windows.

Ok, so is there a way to get back the video card that was in it. Can't remember what it was but I'm sure it was better then the on board???????

Thanks!

T

Ok, I had to try to reboot!

So far, so good!

Was coming back in safe mode but then I remembered I did it myself in msconfig......

Ok, I'll call it solved.

Get this, once I rebooted in normal mode had to go back to the other video card any way so's I can see Windows. Go Figure.

So where to I put CD Rom problems. (The original problem I was troubleshooting when i shot myself in the foot)

Thanks to all that replied!!!

Catch ya on the flip side!

T

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.