So I've always wondered about dual core processors. If you get an intel core 2 duo cpu, 2.5Ghz, does that mean you get twice the clock speed, so you're getting 5Ghz clock speed?

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

depends if the app takes advantage if it. E,g apps which were made before Core Duo will only see one crummy 2.5ghz cpu but if there are designed to take advantage if it then there is huge increase in performance compared to a standard cpu

No, you have two independent processors at the same clock speed.

i got a quad cpu server and some apps only see it as 1 so i thaught the same theroy applied with dual core?

but you actually have 5Ghz of cpu power, right?

sort of. its noy quite as simple as that

then can you please explain it? it doesn't make much sense to me.

I was just reading in wikipedia, it says some apps run better on a 3ghz single core than on a 2ghz dual core because it can't use both cores at the same time, or it doesn't konw how to do it. So let me ask you this: can you dedicate one core to photoshop and the other one to dreamweaver?

yes, control-alt delete the process then choose set afffinity. You can do this on HT processors too

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.