I am having issues with my Dell Optiplex GX270.
On power up the machine hangs - everything freezes (no screen signal, optical mouse LED turns off). Only way to recover is by power cycling the machine. With each power cycle the PC will get either to the hang at the same stage, or a bit later in the boot cycle. It takes 10-15 cycles to get it running. When the PC finally works everything seems to be ok. I can even restart the computer cleanly. roblem shows up again after the PC is off for a while.

I already tried multiple virus scanning, running disk diagnostics (chkdsk), and finally even formatted and installed XP again, but the problem persists. I checked the motherboard and looks to be ok - cleaned the PC from dust etc.

Tech details - Optiplex GX270, Pentium 4, 2.6G, 512MB RAM. Win XP SP2, P4

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!:rolleyes:

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

There is 2 things you could try.

1. Use you Xp disc when it gets to the option press R for Re covery console do that at the prompt type BootCFG /REBUILD or FIXBOOT.

2.See if there is a Bios update to the computer.

I also ran across this on that system about bad caps.

http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=450&page=5&pp=15

These models along with the GX280 had motherboard capacitor issues.This link is one of many that will explain it.You could have gotten a replacement if you contacted Dell by Jan 31st,2008.There is a site Badcaps.com or net that sells the capacitor replacement kits if you are handy with a soldering gun.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.