Hello all. I'm new here and in desperate need of some help. ,

I have a toshiba satellite model number M65-S809.

Last night I was watching a movie and then set it aside and went to bed. I left it on like I do every night. When I woke up the fans were going, and there was a black screen. Clicking the mouse and punching keys didnt work so I forced it off.

Now it wont turn on! When I plug it in the little power cord light turns green, and the battery light flashes orange once for about 2 seconds, then turns green. To the best of my knowledge it stays like that. I have looked at the power cord but I dont think there is an LED light on it so I dont know if it is the power chord.

Nothing happens when I push the power button on the computer. No fans or anything. Ive read online about taking the battery out but doing anything to the computer is unfamiliar to me, so I would need to be walked through that step by step.

Can anyone help me please??? I have a lot on this computer that I can't lose, like work for college!

Recommended Answers

All 29 Replies

the weirdest thing just happened not seconds after i posted this. i started pushing random keys and saying " i hate you" to my computer, and it turned on....

i cant remember all the keys i was hitting but i went over half of the keyboard. i even hit the little rubber button that turns the screen on and off when the screen closes.

now im afriad to turn it off or do anything to it. should i be worried that it is going to do this again?

maybe it wasnt prioperly off, maybe it was in suspend mode

on my thinkapad if it goes into suspend mode i have to hit fn then any key and it wakes up

We have a Toshiba and it did the same thing. It won't turn on, and the green battery light flashes a second or two after the power button has been pressed. It's been like that for a while.

The orange battery light would flash, not the green one.

But that's a side note.
Not a second ago I tried holding the power button down for six seconds, and after about two, it turned on, and had some type of reboot thing, I think. That's really weird. It's been months since the laptop has turned on. The CD drive still has trouble opening, though.
Haha, weird. I don't know what to do know...

Darn. I moved it and it died.

Hi everyone.
I was in the middle of doing a defrag on my main drive when power was cut to my laptop. Since then i have tried to reboot several times but I'm not getting past the Toshiba page at the beggining of boot before total shutdown again. Driving me crazy. I have a 12,000 word paper to deliver at an international forum this week with my only complete copy on the damn machine.
Any ideas, and i mean any, would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou all in advance

Hi everyone.
I was in the middle of doing a defrag on my main drive when power was cut to my laptop. Since then i have tried to reboot several times but I'm not getting past the Toshiba page at the beggining of boot before total shutdown again. Driving me crazy. I have a 12,000 word paper to deliver at an international forum this week with my only complete copy on the damn machine.

Thankyou all in advance

get an external hardrive case (usb) plug it into another computer,if you plug it into a vista machine sometimes it will ask you if you want to repair it and will do it,other than that you could reinstall windows not delete or reformat and you should be able to find your info but I would go the usb route.

Yep the best way is to get the data out first by using an external usb station to use your internal drive as external. If you are not too technical about these things then you can take it to your local repair guys. Shouldn't cost too much for you to get the data out. But any high street guys would charge you a bit, so its up to you really.

Raj

Hi everyone.

Thankyou all in advance

i got about that was just not doing defrag but same ting wen i restarted it it ketp going to the toshiba ting gosh its a pain in the ass its prob bc something in my windows files is mising to reboot it but how i know whut file and u tink if i get new hard drive its gona work ore its something els??? :(

i got about that was just not doing defrag but same ting wen i restarted it it ketp going to the toshiba ting gosh its a pain in the ass its prob bc something in my windows files is mising to reboot it but how i know whut file and u tink if i get new hard drive its gona work ore its something els??? :(

to get the data you need off of your old computer. just un-screw the panel on the back and take the hard drive out. plug it into a working computer as a secondary hard drive. and go get your files. i did this today with my dead toshiba pluged it into my newer desktop and got my files. using windows 7 it was a snap

Hi,
You just posted an answer to a thread that is very old ....Sep 3rd, 2008.
If the poster has not got the files off his drive by now, I don't think he ever will....

I have atoshiba and I can't open programs and I can't turned of all the time is frozen

I have a Toshiba Satellite M105 working perfectly. All of a sudden I click on and AC power light, on/off light, and hard disk drive light - they all turn blue, except for the battery light turns red. However, in a few seconds on off/on light and hard disk drive light goes off. blue light goes on but then it shuts off. There's a black screen. thanks for your help

Will a Toshiba Satellite L45 57419 turn of it's plugged into it's charger even if it's battery is bad?

Will a Toshiba Satellite L45 57419 turn ON if it's plugged into it's charger even if it's battery is bad?

Will a Toshiba Satellite L45 57419 turn ON if it's plugged into it's charger even if it's battery is bad?

it should ,all 3 laptops we have here bot with out the battery in ,did you try it with thw bad battery taken out

I Have A Problem With My Toshiba Satellite c660 1FE, It Wont Power On At All, I Plug In the Charger And it Dosent Acknowlege Thats Its been Plugged In except that The Power Button Lights Up, But Only When I Plug It on Charge, Any Ideas What To try?

I went to turn on My Toshiba satellite the green start button would flicker, turn orange and turn off immediately, guys at local office store said i probley had a short, i took it to batteries plus the guy there tried a new power cord on it and it has been working for a couple years now, I am having another problem now, it locked up, i manually shut it down, at restart it gave f2 or f12 options, i gave f2, asked for password, gave it my screen password, it rejected it, i can't bypass, shut down and restarted 2 more times, got the toshiba logo, froze, restarted, got black screen next 5 times, IT just will start up. I'm ready to throw it out the window or stomp on it, Sooo frustrating. Any help would be appreciated!

I went to turn on My Toshiba satellite the green start button would flicker, turn orange and turn off immediately, guys at local office store said i probley had a short, i took it to batteries plus the guy there tried a new power cord on it and it has been working for a couple years now, I am having another problem now, it locked up, i manually shut it down, at restart it gave f2 or f12 options, i gave f2, asked for password, gave it my screen password, it rejected it, i can't bypass, shut down and restarted 2 more times, got the toshiba logo, froze, restarted, got black screen next 5 times, IT just will start up. I'm ready to throw it out the window or stomp on it, Sooo frustrating. Any help would be appreciated!

it may be overheating ,did you ever clean the fan and heat sinc ,i use can compressed air ,it doesn't take much dust on to cause it to over heat

my toshiba c66o satilite shut down cant keep pressing on switch stays on for about 10 seconds and gos out

how do i do that

had same problem last night and i panicked, because i had just opened the whole machine in order to clean the fan from dust. Was working perfectly but at some point when i moved it, it shut down and had black screen. When i was trying to turn it on, it was making a loud fan noise and then off. So i googled around and found the following solution that works like a charm. good luck.

1. unplug the laptop
    2.take out the battery
    3.hold down the power button for 20 seconds (doing this drains any excess power fron the unit)
    4.put battery back in
    5.plug in laptop
    6.try to turn it on
commented: Thanks soooo much +0

My toshiba won't come on even when it's plugged up the wall!! I don't know what to do. SOMEBODY HELP ME

Hi,
We have a Toshiba and it did the same thing.

Sons laptop is doing the same thing. He hit the keyboard and shattered tge hard drive. New hard drive installed and new battery. Wont turn on...wth? New mother board or power boadlrd?? Doesnt even light up when charger is plugged in..tine to trash a 1 yr okd laptop?

hello igo probel whit my laptop toshiba just is not swiching on maybe probel the battery a nedd ofyou help plaseee

i nedd of you help please

Sorry but this is a long shot as often laptops in this state are non-viable ie dead BUT here goes

Try removing the battery and using the mains/power lead/charger only. Before you try switching on look for 'telltale' light which should indicate that the laptop is on mains any lights are good. no lights at all then you have a problem. If you can see lights try the on switch/power button if it starts and goes straight of are there any noises, fan, drive(s) life signs from the screen flicker or logos displays.

If you get no lights unplug first! then try removing as many of the following Optical drive, battery, hard drive, memory modules (becareful with these try not to handle/or touch the gold plated edges) then try the to power up using the mains supply look for teletale lights as before. If you get noises and lights unplug the mains and replace the items starting with the memory and try to start the laptop after each replacement. Good luck you may find yourself buying something else

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.