I have a Sony VIAO laptop PCG-F690K with a dead CD/DVD drive. Just wont read anything anymore. Bought a replacement, but nowhere can I find how to install it. Instructions I have start with knowing how to take the keyboard off, first. Called Sony and I discover answers are in their Service Manual, part #987214811 -- but it is 2 months back ordered - LOL!
Anybody out there who can help me? I am an old Clipper-head and pc builder from the 80s-90s but never did laptops (for good reasons :eek: )

Mucho appreciado.
Barry

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

depends on the laptops. some laptops you need to remove the keyboard (unscrew all screws - there is most likely some hidden under the stickers and rubber feet) then any internal boards that are in the way (this is a pain as laptops are the sort of thing that never goes back together again properley)

other laptops simply require you to pull a lever to get the drive out (thinkpads are liek this, so that you can easialy change between optical drive and extra battery)

Hi JBennet :-)
Thanks for the quick reply.
I have directions which start after the removal of the KB, where I remove the two screws connected to the optical drive and the old drive will slide out ; I just do not know exactly how to get the KB out.
Stickers? Rubber Feet? that does this have to do with the KB? I have a Sony Vaio PCG F690K. Keep talkin, bro !
Barry

depends on the laptops. some laptops you need to remove the keyboard (unscrew all screws - there is most likely some hidden under the stickers and rubber feet) then any internal boards that are in the way (this is a pain as laptops are the sort of thing that never goes back together again properley)

other laptops simply require you to pull a lever to get the drive out (thinkpads are liek this, so that you can easialy change between optical drive and extra battery)

some laptops you can just pull the keyboard out, some others you need to remove the fn key to get at a screw, while others you need to take out some screws on the base.

Thats why it would be useful to get that sony manual (google your model number and dissembley, theresd bound to be a pdf somewhere)

e.g on my thinkpad on the bottom there are screws, some hold the case together and others hold the keyboard on from underneath (those ones have arrows next to them) and are mainly hidden under the windows sticker and the small rubber feet

JBennet -- or someone -- can you be more speficif please??? Thanks.

can you post a pic of the side of the case where the drive is on by the way?

Hi James
There are no screws on the side where the CD drive is. Also, I checked under the Fn and Win keys -- no screws there either. However, on the opposite side (the left) of the Sony PCG-FK690, there is a screw which I unscrewed and the faceplate came up. I could bend the KB back about an inch but beyond that didnt want to force it -- seems like something holding it down in the center -- although I wondered if I could just yank it out. I can see the CD Drive -- once I get the KB off I have instructions to change the drive. Can you help?

I did at first go to Sony but the manual is 2 months backordered :sad:
Barry
adepti@nym.hush.com

some laptops you can just pull the keyboard out, some others you need to remove the fn key to get at a screw, while others you need to take out some screws on the base.

Thats why it would be useful to get that sony manual (google your model number and dissembley, theresd bound to be a pdf somewhere)

e.g on my thinkpad on the bottom there are screws, some hold the case together and others hold the keyboard on from underneath (those ones have arrows next to them) and are mainly hidden under the windows sticker and the small rubber feet

the centre screw is usually a long one on the underneath - do not force it if it will not go or you will break it

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.