Well i finally went around online to look at some computer parts and what now.
I found a case i liked that looks like it would be nice.

Case: http://www.xoxide.com/raidmax-smilodon-case.html
It's at Raidmax Smilodon case which looks like a very good case for the price.

PSU would be a 500 watt unit, i think this would be ok, my friend said that would be plenty of power....

CPU & Motherboard: (Socket AM2) AMD Athlon™64 3800+ CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology with (Socket AM2)MSI K9N4 SLI-F nForce 500 SLI Chipset DDR2/800 SATA-II RAID MBoard w/ Dual 16x PCI-Express

RAM: (Req.DDR2 MainBoard)2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory(Mushkin Brand)

VIDEO:NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS 256MB PCI Express x16 (EVGA Powered by NVIDIA)

Fans: AMD ATHLON64 CERTIFIED CPU FAN & HEATSINK

HDD: Single Hard Drive (500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD

CD: Sony Q170A 18x Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)

That is the majority of the stuff i built online.
Do you guys think that will be enough for my homework, music, movies, internet, PhotoShop CS2, my dad embrodiary, and i might be installing AutoCAD 2007??
I will be wanting to run XP Pro.
I heard or read that the higher the memory on the hard drive will make it less stable or somethin', is that true??
Not sure if i have everythin' listed, but will post up more if i can remember anythin' else.
Thanks for the responses.

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

I noticed that you don't mention the manufacturer of the PSU, this is the heart of you system, don't skimp there. Stick to a recognized name brand.

I have to admit to being a die hard fan of AMD, but at the moment the Core 2 Duo is the best CPU out there. This could change in the near future, but for now I would have to go that way if it is in the budget.

At the moment I'm not a real fan of MSI, they have had some problems of late. I do still like ASUS even if they are picky about what RAM they like, but this seems to be a problem in gerneral with boards using DDR2 at the moment.

I do agree with the XP Pro, I personally wouldn't consider Vista for another year or after their first service pack or which ever comes first.

I have both an amd x2 and an intel core2duo. Duo is fater but X2 is easier to install and keep cool.

"dcc" sorry but cyberpowerpc recommended the PSU: NZXT PF 500 PS.Can you eleborate on what problems MSI has been havin'??
Thanks for the input.

"jbennet" Thanks for the input.

I honestly can't address this specific motherboard, but recently MSI has had problems with capacitors which is strange since the incident that flooded the industry with bad caps has been long past. They also have had some issues with power at their USB ports. Another problem is that they are rather picky about what RAM they like, but then so is ASUS.

I honestly can't address this specific motherboard, but recently MSI has had problems with capacitors which is strange since the incident that flooded the industry with bad caps has been long past. They also have had some issues with power at their USB ports. Another problem is that they are rather picky about what RAM they like, but then so is ASUS.

So what motherboard would you suggest for uses i listed in my first post that is good.

I don't know what your price range is so I can't suggest any thing other than a manufacturer, I would go with a Asus. Here's as nice combo.

Is there any reason that you are sticking with the AMD rather than going with a core 2 duo?

As for the RAM, I'm not sure what you mean by the RAM being less stable the higher it gets. Can you explain what you are asking?

Is there any reason that you are sticking with the AMD rather than going with a core 2 duo?

as i said in a previous post, the X2 is easier to keep cool and overclock and is cheaper, even if it slower.

I don't know what your price range is so I can't suggest any thing other than a manufacturer, I would go with a Asus. Here's as nice combo.

As for the RAM, I'm not sure what you mean by the RAM being less stable the higher it gets. Can you explain what you are asking?

I though AMD would be better than Intel for PhotoShop CS2..... from what i heard......
I have no budget on what motherboard to get just a motherboard that will perform well when runnin' PhotoShop CS2 and to burn music, and movies.
I wasn't talking about RAM i was talking about the hard drive being less stable the higher the memory..... am i wrong about that.

I still don't know what you are referring to when you say higher the memory. Are you talking about larger amounts of GBs?

There is no issue of instability with the capacity of hdds that I'm aware of, the only problem that I can think of related to capacity would be if the hdd is getting too low in free space. The hdd needs to have free space in order to operate properly, if it is too full it will slow the computer down.

If you read this article you will find that in a Adobe Photoshop CS2 image-processing test the Athlon 64 FX-62 was slower than either the Core 2 Duo E6700 or the Core 2 Extreme X6800. As I have said before, I'm a die hard AMD fan, but the new Intel line of CPUs are the best bang for the buck...right now.

I still don't know what you are referring to when you say higher the memory. Are you talking about larger amounts of GBs?

There is no issue of instability with the capacity of hdds that I'm aware of, the only problem that I can think of related to capacity would be if the hdd is getting too low in free space. The hdd needs to have free space in order to operate properly, if it is too full it will slow the computer down.

If you read this article you will find that in a Adobe Photoshop CS2 image-processing test the Athlon 64 FX-62 was slower than either the Core 2 Duo E6700 or the Core 2 Extreme X6800. As I have said before, I'm a die hard AMD fan, but the new Intel line of CPUs are the best bang for the buck...right now.

Oh, ok.
Thanks for straigthening that out for me.
I will definitely read that article.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.