Got a machine

socket 775

it powers on, but no video or peripheral power (usb optical mouse light doesn't go on)

I changed the ram, changed the power supply, disconnected everything but the essentials.

Friend reported it froze up a few times, then just reboot it.. now it does the above.

mobo or cpu?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Got a machine

socket 775

it powers on, but no video or peripheral power (usb optical mouse light doesn't go on)

I changed the ram, changed the power supply, disconnected everything but the essentials.

Friend reported it froze up a few times, then just reboot it.. now it does the above.

mobo or cpu?

I have the same exact problem with a 775 socket Mobo. My wife was using the computer, went for a walk and when I came back I find out from her that, it froze up and she did a hard boot and after that it never started up. The red LED on the mobo indicates there's pwr, I checked there's 5volt and 12volts present in terminals to pwr dvd, cd & HD. the green light in front does light up only the red one does after i disconnected the pwr from the dvd burner. Infact the dvd burner was making a click, click sound. I'm thinking it's the hard drive because bios is not seeing the HD but the DVD (primary), cd is secondary. Also all the fans are working ps, cpu and extra one on the side panel.
But any help would be great.

I hope i'm not high jacking this thread just sharing what I did and since the problem is identical, hopefully someone will answer two questions at once.

Mine wont' eve go into the bios...like i said no video.

Your problem is your HD.. its on it way OUT..back up your material, you may have to shutdown a few times to get this hd to boot.

back to the topic...

I think its the cpu, i'll buy one 2night and see if it is or not..

Replaced the hard drive same symptom. Hmmmmmm, I wonder what is really gone? I shall wait for 91gsixty reply and see if replacing the hard drive does solve the problem.

Replaced the hard drive same symptom. Hmmmmmm, I wonder what is really gone? I shall wait for 91gsixty reply and see if replacing the hard drive does solve the problem.

Replaced the hard drive same symptom. Hmmmmmm, I wonder what is really gone? I shall wait for 91gsixty's reply and see if replacing the cpu does solve the problem.

I would pull the ram and see if you get post beeps to make sure its working. If the cpu was damaged the board (on occassion heh) will give beep codes idicating that also.

Typically hard drives dont keep machines from posting but its not unheard of(usually more common in laptops). If that doesnt work id pull the board and reseat it to make sure nothing is grounding out.

I believe its the motherboard. I talked to another tech, he said..if the cpu fan continues to spin, it the motherboard...if it doesn't its the cpu.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.