Daughter's been off to college, and trying to use her old Thinkpad R31, but it asks for her user name and password, and she can't remember it.

Any way to work around this?

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Daughter's been off to college, and trying to use her old Thinkpad R31, but it asks for her user name and password, and she can't remember it.

Any way to work around this?

is that a windows password/username or the Bios password ,can you get to the windows login screen,if yes ,then boot computer while hitting the f8 key to go to safe mode ,choose administrator acct, and go to users in the control panel and remove password from you daughters user account .

Yes, thats the way to do i under windows

Is it 98/NT/2k/XP?

If you mean the HDD password then you are out of luck. I lost it for my old R30 and IBM said i would require a new motherboard (luckily i remembered it)

Often the user Administrator is defaulted to no password. try it.

Otherwise there are utilities available (google it) to reset locked accounts.

Thanks - just treid - but it's the Windows XP Log On to Windows that I can't get past

Yeah hit F8 repeatedly when it starts up and choose SAFE MODE . Lost of text will flow down the screen and the graphics will look crappy but dont worry, thats ok. Once you ecentually get to the welcome screen you will see an account thats not usually there called "administrator". It SHOULD have no password

Got it --- THANKS to all!!

find lost user name and password for ibn thinkpad 2660 windowsxp
please help.
big jeff

ok i have ibm thinkpad laptop and brother was playing my account through admin and then he went on command and then type down net user isaac(which my admin acc)then he typed net user isnack2(which the name for the system) and now i cant log in my account even though i knoe the password by heart

and problem is i have no other account to log in

I just found an old IBM thinkpad I used to use. I want to give it to my grandson to use, but I can't remember the password. Is there a way to reset it or recover it?

I just found an old IBM thinkpad I used to use. I want to give it to my grandson to use, but I can't remember the password. Is there a way to reset it or recover it?

check the post above by jbennet

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.