Hello

I have been a heck of time trying to figure out what is causing this problem.
I receive the error:
Cannot find server or DNS Error
using both IE 6.0 and FireFox.
If I hit reresh about 3 times, the page eventually renders.

I think I have tried just about everything thing that I can thing of and only came to one conclusion - it must be a virus or something.
I ran the highjackthis utility and I don't see anything
here are the results:
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\swdoctor.exe
C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe
C:\downloads\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: PCTools Site Guard - {5C8B2A36-3DB1-42A4-A3CB-D426709BBFEB} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdsg.dll
O2 - BHO: PCTools Browser Monitor - {B56A7D7D-6927-48C8-A975-17DF180C71AC} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdpb.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIModeChange] Ati2mdxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Spyware Doctor] "C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\swdoctor.exe" /Q
O4 - Startup: SpywareGuard.lnk = C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe
O9 - Extra button: Spyware Doctor - {2D663D1A-8670-49D9-A1A5-4C56B4E14E84} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdpb.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

i have ran spybot,spygaurd,ccleaner,adaware and spydoctor. It finds the normal stuff that i have to remove, but nothing that I would think could cause the DNS problem.

If you anyone has any ideas, please let me know

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

A stupid question - but how do you know it isn't a problem with your ISPs DNS servers or a problem with the specific domain you are trying to resolve?

Geoff

That's not a complete hijackthis log, it should show what version of hijackthis you're using. If you're not using 1.99, please update it.

In any case, please close all browser windows, scan with HJT (ver. 1.99), and post the complete log.

run the winsock fix in my signature it might help. (it doesnt hurt, it just restores some defaults)

The reason I don't think it is a problem with my ISP is b/c when i hook up my laptop to the router either wireless or connected with cable, it does not have this problem.
I will also try to bypass my router just to be sure.
I will get the latest highjackthis and posted it.
thanks
Jeff

The reason I don't think it is a problem with my ISP is b/c when i hook up my laptop to the router either wireless or connected with cable, it does not have this problem.
I will also try to bypass my router just to be sure.
I will get the latest highjackthis and posted it.
thanks
Jeff

Here is the complete highjackthis log:
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
Scan saved at 7:47:00 PM, on 1/13/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe
C:\jkj\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: PCTools Site Guard - {5C8B2A36-3DB1-42A4-A3CB-D426709BBFEB} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdsg.dll
O2 - BHO: PCTools Browser Monitor - {B56A7D7D-6927-48C8-A975-17DF180C71AC} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdpb.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIModeChange] Ati2mdxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Spyware Doctor] "C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\swdoctor.exe" /Q
O4 - Startup: SpywareGuard.lnk = C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe
O9 - Extra button: Spyware Doctor - {2D663D1A-8670-49D9-A1A5-4C56B4E14E84} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdpb.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation Service - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Remote Packet Capture Protocol v.0 (experimental) - Unknown - %ProgramFiles%\WinPcap\rpcapd.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe

Jeff
were you able to resolve your issue? I am having exact same error. My laptop can connect but my desktop needs 2-3 times refresh before it connects to the page.
If you have resolved acn you post to the forum the solution.

Thanks
Ravi

Try reinstalling the following ; O23 - Service: Remote Packet Capture Protocol v.0 (experimental) - Unknown - %ProgramFiles%\WinPcap\rpcapd.exe (file missing) it may have become corrupted.

If that has no affect, download the Hoster.
Run it and press "Restore Original Hosts" and press "OK". Exit Program.
Note that if you have a custom host file, this will remove it. You can edit the host file with this program too.

I tried reinstalling still same problem, so I downloaded Hoster and did what you said - still nothing.
I went ahead and took my router out of the picture to make sure that it is not causing the problem. Well, I don't see the DNS errors as often when I bypass the router and hook directly into the cable modem. This doesn't make sense to me, b/c my laptop never sees the problem when I hook it to the router. I have a belkin router and haven't found anything searching the web as far as this type of problem.
If you have any other suggestions, please let me know.
thank you for all of your help thus far.

I tried reinstalling still same problem, so I downloaded Hoster and did what you said - still nothing.
I went ahead and took my router out of the picture to make sure that it is not causing the problem. Well, I don't see the DNS errors as often when I bypass the router and hook directly into the cable modem. This doesn't make sense to me, b/c my laptop never sees the problem when I hook it to the router. I have a belkin router and haven't found anything searching the web as far as this type of problem.
If you have any other suggestions, please let me know.
thank you for all of your help thus far.

Thanks for all of your help. I restarted my machine after running the Hoster and that seems to have fixed whatever problem my machine was having.
Thanks for everything. I really appreciate it.

You are welcome :).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.