I have windows Me and two errors came up. the 1st is in an explorer box that reads. Explorer has caused an error in OLE32.DLL. explorer will now close.
Even after restart it is still there.
The second is on a blue screen that reads.
A fatal error in IE has occured at 0028:C0011E36 in VXD VMM(01)+00010E36 . Error was caused by trojan spy.HTML.smitfraud.c
*System can not function in normal mode, please check your security settings.
*Scan your pc with any available antivirus/spyware remover program to fix the problem.
I can not get the pc to respond to anything, when i try to close the explorer box it reapperes. and I can not run any windows or even shut the pc down. The cd wont respond either. So what do I need to do? Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Hi peetrod, and welcome to Daniweb.

Your problem isn't really a 'Dead machine'. It's a working Windows Me system which has problems after being infected with a 'Net nasty'. I'll move this to the 'Viruyses and Nasties' section, where you'll get assistance with troubleshooting procedures including, I suspect, starting your system in Windows 'Safe mode' so that the nasty critter can be removed!

Cheers.

In follow-up to peetrod's post, I have been trying to fix a windows Me machine generating an identical message. In both normal and safe modes, it boots up normally until the repeating fatal error messages. Whilst in safe mode, it was possible to click on programs on the task bar and get them running, however after the first display of the message, the screen then locks. Continued access to some functionality (not explorer-related) of any task bar programs running is possible, however that's about it.
I've tried Ctrl Alt Deleting programs away, including <unknown> before this message appears and was wondering what I might be able to try next?
Failing that, would there be a way that this problem could be fixed in DOS?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.