Are there any recorded instances of the dreaded "operating system not found" screen being caused by malware? I understand most likely cause to be creep or software related, apologise if this question already posted.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Are there any recorded instances of the dreaded "operating system not found" screen being caused by malware? I understand most likely cause to be creep or software related, apologise if this question already posted.

I do not think a malware cause is outside the realm of possibility. Especially with all the stuff that messes with the MBR these days.
But, I wouldn't put it at the head of the list. I'd look at the hard drive and BIOS first. Maybe recovery console or a bootable rescue CD the poke around and see if HD is functioning....

Best Luck :)
PP

Thanks for reply PP, in my case luck will play a large part in finding a solution. A very patient engineer ran through probable causes with me, much the same as in your post and all seems ok. Will run through them again, I am using machine in question now as fault is intermittent.

Will run through them again, I am using machine in question now as fault is intermittent.

Intermittent is not good - could be a sign of a failing hard drive.... Hope you've backed up any and all important data in the event intermittent becomes permanent.

Is this a PC or laptop? If PC, get another Hard Drive - you can get a 1TB drive for under $100. If you buy retail (not OEM), many include software such as Acronis to allow for easy transfer of data / OS / etc....

A laptop would be a bit more involved...

Best Luck :)
PP

It might be your hard disk has been corrupted, you need to consult with recovery expert so that they can prevent your important data.

A HP pavilion dv9000 laptop running vista home premium is the culprit, it has behaved in a rather eccentric manner almost from day one, though I suspect vista to be the cause rather than the machine.
I keep tinkering down to an absolute minimum as an ardent believer in the "If it aint broke..." rule, and also due to a lack of expertise. It actually gave pretty good service right until the warranty ran out when the optical drive promptly failed. I have no axe to grind with hp, just telling it like it is,keep all my important stuff on old Dell running XP as it proved to be more stable.

A HP pavilion dv9000 laptop running vista home premium is the culprit, it has behaved in a rather eccentric manner almost from day one, though I suspect vista to be the cause rather than the machine.
I keep tinkering down to an absolute minimum as an ardent believer in the "If it aint broke..." rule, and also due to a lack of expertise. It actually gave pretty good service right until the warranty ran out when the optical drive promptly failed. I have no axe to grind with hp, just telling it like it is,keep all my important stuff on old Dell running XP as it proved to be more stable.

Still, probably a good idea to invest in a backup hard drive. Perhaps an external drive might fit the bill the best?

I, too, subscribe to the "if it ain't broke" principle . . . . But, it is wise to be prepared for the worst. Especially when you are getting plenty of warning signals of impending doom.....

Cheers :)
PP

Thanks for the advice, I ran through the suggested steps and also applied the stages in PP's post titled "read me before.." relating to malware, just to be on the safe side.
This resulted in a smoother sounding and more responsive machine, fan not nearly as loud and hard drive not working as hard. Also 26GB of hard drive has miraculously freed itself up! (I know I should have been on top of this), instinct would say that my original problem was due to a loose connection and any infection coincidental.
Whatever the cause I intend to take security more seriously in the future, unfortunately this lap top has more than one user, and some of them are always on the lookout for a free game!

Regarding visual inspection and handling of a lap top hard drive, I would not advocate taking this task on unless you are competent to do so, or have an endless source of money. I was very fortunate in finding expert help, otherwise I would still be trying to work out how to get inside the thing.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.