Grand Theft Auto III / Vice City / San Andreas are three of the best games in existence, in my opinion.

It isn't because of the killing.
It isn't because of the hookers.
It isn't because of the missions.
It's because of the freedom to roam around an expansive city and steal/buy cars and just drive around, walk around, and interact with your environment, by purchasing items, weapons, etc.

I had both of them installed on my Windows installation before I wiped it, and I was wondering if a free/open source game exists with the freedoms of Grand Theft Auto, even if limited, that exist for Linux (in source or compiled binaries). Are there? If so, which and where?

WITHOUT WINE.

I mean, I would love a game where I can just roam around a city and use cars to get places, etc. Even if it's just the engine, with no missions.

Does one / multiple game(s) exist?

Also, what do you call this genre of game?

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

I'm not much of a gamer, so I guess I'm not really qualified to answer this question, but... Second Life has a client available for Linux. I dunno if that's what you're looking for. It has a monthly fee or something as well, if I remember correctly.

Eh, that's close, but not exact. (And it's free, btw).

I'm not really looking for an online game, just a game that I can play anywhere, like Grand Theft Auto or DRIV3R (just remembered that one).

I'll give Second Life a try though.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Alright I found Passenger, which is pretty much exactly what I wanted.

http://passenger.wikispaces.com/

Now, why can't I run the *.sh file? It just brings me into gedit to edit the file.

>Now, why can't I run the *.sh file? It just brings me into gedit to edit the file.
You'll need to run it in the Terminal. cd to the directory where the script is, then do something like

$ ./start.sh

If it won't execute, you may need to set the executable bit in the permissions:

$ chmod ugo+x start.sh

Alright, I figured that I could use

bash start_linux_client.sh [icode] to run it, which worked, but now it just hangs at the main screen and then goes darker and darker until I have to force quit the window.

I think it has something to do with how my Java is set up, let me reinstall and try again.

Btw, what's the apt-get command for reinstall?

EDIT: Nope, reinstalled Java 6 and it still hangs once I hover my mouse over the window.[icode]
bash start_linux_client.sh

to run it, which worked, but now it just hangs at the main screen and then goes darker and darker until I have to force quit the window.

I think it has something to do with how my Java is set up, let me reinstall and try again.

EDIT: Nope, reinstalled Java 6 and it still hangs once I hover my mouse over the window.[icode]
to run it, which worked, but now it just hangs at the main screen and then goes darker and darker until I have to force quit the window.

EDIT: Nope, reinstalled Java 6 and it still hangs once I hover my mouse over the window.

>Btw, what's the apt-get command for reinstall?

apt-get --reinstall install [I]package[/I]

>Nope, reinstalled Java 6 and it still hangs once I hover my mouse over the window.
I take it you've installed sun-java6-jre and java-common ? Anyway, beyond that I don't really know. I would ask for help at the package maintainer's website (perhaps they have a support mailing list, or even a forum).

Iight.

These kinds of games are called "Sandbox" games. Does anyone else know any free sandbox games for Linux?

How about MUDs? ;-p

Hahah. You mean like a Nethack style game?

Ehhhhh.

How about a MUD with 3-D graphics?

=P

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.