i need to train my self on unix os but i dont have it available on any pc at home. i have a laptop installed windows vista on it. how can i install unix os on it?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

google for something called Microsoft Virtual PC

Or you can dual boot

virtualisation is easier and less risky

now by UNIX do you mean an actual UNIX OS or a unix-like OS?

i mean both, we use unix servers in the company, but i wanna familiarize my self with linux and such as well. i installed vmware workstation trial version. but i am going to install microsoft virtual pc too. thanks for your reply

Try Ubuntu, multiboot with vista. I wanted the same and Installed with NO risky, Why? Because the Installer is graphic! :)

Yeah with the right flavor, the installation process is really, really simple and would give a more true representation of how the OS would actually function in toto, vs. a virtualization.

yeah but he will probably want to install / reinstall a lot as well as run some server services

for a learning tool, virtualisation is better as you can have a whole little virtual network with no security risks

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.