Guys, need urgent help here from IT Gurus -

I'm converting my development environment into a production level server.
<Apache 6...- >
for actually practical application
I know to accomplish this I need to create Virtual Hosts on my web server. The idea of this is to allow the web server to host multiple websites on one machine thus not limiting your web server to one website per IP address.

From there, a hosts file exists in system32\drivers\etc directory <for windows OS>
where am to edit / put put any number of entries in it

Q.- how do I go about it from here --
<java/Apache/Tomcat Web Development> my skype ID --->SNIPPED

From there, a hosts file exists in system32\drivers\etc directory <for windows OS>
where am to edit / put put any number of entries in it

AFAIK that is nowhere concerned to hosting web sites on your machine. That file is in fact looked up by Windows for trying to resolve an IP Address for a specific domain name (before querying the same with your DNS if not found in this file).

Your Apache Web Server can host multiple web sites (with each website content organized into different directories) as long as you have individual virtual hosts configured for each and for that you have to only edit the configuration file of Apache (the file httpd.conf if I am not wrong). You can read more here regarding the VirtualHost directive.

<EDIT>
In fact the link I have forwarded you, also addresses your problem of hosting multiple websites on a single IP address.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.