Hey, I've been using linux forever and want to start dual booting slackware and BSD. I've heard that Slackware doesn't like this very much and was wondering if anyone has any experience with this type of setup?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I have a dual boot with slackware and works like a charm .. But need to use grub as the boot loader ... All the best

./thanks
ilaiy

Yeah, the problem with Slack is that it uses LILO. LILO doesn't handle dual-booting that well. You should be able to install GRUB easily though.

you can do this one of two ways:

• Let LILO handle the boot loading
  • Let the BSD MBR handle the boot loading

Personally, I prefer the latter. The FreeBSD MBR is SUPER simple-- you just hit the Fkeys (F1, F2, F3, etc)for the partition you want to boot. For something like Linux, it will even detect the partition type, and label it as "Linux". :cool: If you go this route, you'd install LILO onto the /boot or / partition of your Linux install, and configure it to automatically boot to that partition with no delays.

If you choose the first option, dual booting with LILO, it's pretty simple. You can follow these directions. They mention FreeBSD specifically, but they work for any BSD:

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=32084&seqNum=6&rl=1

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.