Hey Guys, we will be very interested in learning from your experiences on using Red Hat Virtualization. I am still trying to understand how does VMware and Red Hat Virtualization fit with each other. Has anyone been on projects where the customer is using both ? and any experiences you may have had

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Red Hat is the operating system and VMWare is the hypervisor that runs on the host system. It is common these days to run a variety of operating systems in a virtual environment. There are several benefits such as reducing the total cost of ownership, effeciencies in provisioning, etc.

Red Hat is the operating system and VMWare is the hypervisor that runs on the host system. It is common these days to run a variety of operating systems in a virtual environment. There are several benefits such as reducing the total cost of ownership, effeciencies in provisioning, etc.

Well, Red Hat Virtualization doesn't use VMWare as it's hypervisor, it uses QEMU (as far as this post is concerned, I forgot and can't find the information) for it's virutalization solution. It is an alternative to the VMWare virtualization solution. Basicly, they are the same, except that VMWare virtualizaion is leaps and bounds ahead in both support and stability as opposed to RHEL virtualization, but also VMWare costs a hell of a lot more. One of the selling points of RHEL-V (to put it short) is that it's cheaper than a VMWare solution for enterprise environments. But they both provide the same type of features such as VM load balancing and redundancy.

Now, one qwark about RHEL-V is that it's virual manager requires internet explorer >.> Which, of course, doesn't run on linux based machines. ;) Just a tid bit that doesn't make too much sense to me as we tried to implement this type of solution in our enterprise environment, but ended up choosing VMWare instead because of the support and stabliity as mentioned before.

Thanks for the clarification Shinedevil. My response to johnsmith111 was specficially to seperate that VMWare software is used for virtualization and that Red Hat is the Operating system. If the two were to be used together, it would be in the manner that I described.

Since Red Hat appears to have their own virtualization product, i would assume that they fit nicely together and that Red Hat would make it less costly for their customers to run on their virtualization platform.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.