I was thinking of throwing out windows from a little laptop with an i386 processor and putting linux on, to make better use of the hardware. I'm not sure how the process works, seeing as there is no disk drive, and I'm not sure which distribution of linux would be a good fit for it. It has a few USB slots, of course, but no disk drive. I know that some linux distributions run from USB, but I don't know the details. Can someone fill me in on how to boot linux on there? I'm hoping to try it out using a live distribution first, but I'd have to know how to prep a usb peripheral to make my laptop boot it, and anything else needed.

Also, there is a program I am hoping to install (racket). It has a few linux binaries for download, two of which are the right architecture, but one is for Ubuntu, the other is for Fedora. I understand that each linux works differently with these things, but how might I install it if I wanted to install debian, for example? For other programs, how does it work? can some unix source codes be compiled for linux?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

You can do it on a flashdrive (pendrive).
There are several utilities that can create the pendrive.

Yes, I tried Linux Live Usb creator, I just discovered that. I put debian live on a USB drive with 16 GB capacity and I tried it out a little. I'm trying out kde, lxde, and xfc debian. thanks

another way is to borrow a usb dvd/cd extrnal drive and put a linux distro boot CD into i, with it conneted to USB socket and start up (ensuring bios is booting from cd device.) it will then install the linux and on closure remove drive and it should all work! I did thiqs with EEEPC and it is so much better!
M

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.