Hi guys,

I'm trying to install a virtual machine; OS = kubuntu 14.04LTS using virtual machine manager on an external hard disk. My PC's OS is 12.04LTS(kubuntu) Precise Pangolin. Everything goes ahead (relatively) smoothly on VMM till its time to actually install the OS and create a domain. I then get the error message below:

"Unable to complete install: 'Unable to read from monitor: Connection reset by peer'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/asyncjob.py", line 45, in cb_wrapper
callback(asyncjob, *args, **kwargs)`
File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/create.py", line 1909, in do_install
guest.start_install(False, meter=meter)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/virtinst/Guest.py", line 1236, in start_install
noboot)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/virtinst/Guest.py", line 1304, in _create_guest
dom = self.conn.createLinux(start_xml or final_xml, 0)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/libvirt.py", line 2166, in createLinux
if ret is None:raise libvirtError('virDomainCreateLinux() failed', conn=self)
libvirtError: Unable to read from monitor: Connection reset by peer"

Has anyone experienced such an error and how did you resolve it?

All help and assistance is deeply appreciated.

Thank you.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I have to assume you are running VMware and VirtualBox? In either case, I haven't seen this error. It may be that your OS image that your are trying to install is corrupted. Try another.

Thanks @ rubberman. Virtual box was the only package i installed. I resolved this last week; the .iso image was corrupted and i had to try another which installed seamlessly. Unfortunately, i had issues (disappearing mouse)with VMM(virt-manager) which comes by default on precise pangolin so i switched completely to Oracle Virtual box.

I've had very good luck with VirtualBox - been using it constantly for almost 10 years now. Very solid. At work we use VMware and have a tonne of ESXi servers and run VMware workstation on our laptops as well. Seems very solid also.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.