Hello fellow coders,
I am in this situration right now, where i'm soon going to buy my 3'rd dedicated server, and i wondered what Linux OS would be best? Right now i have a 64 GB and a 32 GB server with Linux CentOS 6.5 Minimal, and i'm using the 32 GB's server for hosting purpose for my customers, and the 64 GB's server to sponsor people (YouTube'ers, Twitch'ers etc.). So my questions is; what is the best and easiest Linux OS for Minecraft hosting, and for Gmod/CS:GO and CS:S hosting? And what about security? What is the easiest to learn security thing on the OS? And please inform me why that is better than the another... And if you want to help me configure everything, then PM me. Anyway thanks a lot!! :)
- Hope this makes sense, I'm not English... So...

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Hello,

The consensus on the minecraft site seems to be that both CentOS or Ubuntu make good servers. So since you are already using CentOS I would stick with an OS you know. CentOS is based on Red Hat Enterprise and Ubuntu is debian based and the packages and applications are distributed in different formants. The link below gives a good comparison between Debian and Red Hat and should als help you make your decision.

http://www.tecmint.com/redhat-vs-debian-administrative-point-of-view/

@rch1231
The article is not too bad, but there are a lot of mistakes and the author's English leaves something to be desired. @zzmrmartinzz Read more than just this article to get an appreciation for the differences, strengths, and weaknesses of RedHat based distributions vs. Debian ones. In my opinion, since you are already familiar with RedHat based distributions (such as CentOS) then stick with what you know. In my previous position at Nokia Mobile Phones we used over 5000 CentOS servers. In my current position, we and our customers mostly use CentOS distributions as well, though some of our customers are wedded to Microsoft servers. Fortunately, our software supports both! We can also run on Debian servers, but not many of our customers use them.

As long as you have it exactly as it is above; it should work.... Works for me at least! :/

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.