I'm on latest Kubuntu.

Here I am with English US keyboard input. But I'd like to install say Norwegian, Polish, Japanese, whatever.
I decide the easiest step. Which is to search "input". "Input Method" sounds promising. I run it.
Then I get window. That says:

Current configuration for the input method:
 * Active configuration: missing (normally missing)
 * Normal automatic choice: none (normally ibus or fcitx or uim)
 * Override rule: zh_CN,fcitx:zh_TW,fcitx:zh_HK,fcitx:zh_SG,fcitx:ja_JP,fcitx:ko_KR,fcitx:vi_VN,fcitx
 * Current override choice:  (en_US)
 * Current automatic choice: none
 * Number of valid choices: 1 (normally 1)
The override rule is defined in /etc/default/im-config.
The configuration set by im-config is activated by re-starting X.
Explicit selection is not required to enable the automatic configuration if the active one is default/auto/cjkv/missing.

Have no clue what it says or what it does. The only button up here is "ok".

After "Ok" another window pops up asking.

Do you explicitly select the user configuration?

* Select NO, if you do not wish to update it. (recommended)
* Select YES, if you wish to update it.

If I select "Yes", window disappears and nothing happens. When I select "No", a window pops up with following message.

Keeping the user configuration /home/kubuntu/.xinputrc as missing.
Automatic configuration selects: none
This does not set any IM from im-config.
This is the automatic configuration choice if no required IM packages are installed.
If a daemon program for the previous configuration is re-started by the X session manager, you may need to kill it manually with kill(1).
See im-config(8) and /usr/share/doc/im-config/README.Debian.gz for more.

20 lines of text, for just changing the input method.

So, could someone please guide me on how to install other input languages? (mentioned Norwegian, Polish and Japanese).

P.S. : Yes, I just finished installing updates.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

In kubuntu 14.04 you can do it with the System Configuration app. See the attached snapshots (sorry it's in french). I can add as many keyboard layouts as needed. I don't know if this will work in more recent versions of kubuntu

Yep. In Kubuntu 16.04 LTS it's called "System Settings".
Done, thanks.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.