BSD broke my thinkpad. I have searched and apparently when the machine starts up the bios looks for a hibernate partition (which happens to be similar to the bsd filesystem) so it hangs.

I cant tell it to boot from the cd instead and then use a livecd to kill the bsd instillation as this is straight at bootup - it doesnt even post.

It boots up fine without the hdd drive. Anyone know how i can delete the bsd instillation off the lapops drive from my desktop ?- a laptop to desktop size hdd connector maybe?

Contributors
Replies
Views
11 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by jbennet

BSD broke my thinkpad. I have searched and apparently when the machine starts up the bios looks for a hibernate partition (which happens to be similar to the bsd filesystem) so it hangs.

I cant tell it to boot from the cd instead and then use a livecd to kill the bsd instillation as this is straight at bootup - it doesnt even post.

It boots up fine without the hdd drive. Anyone know how i can delete the bsd instillation off the lapops drive from my desktop ?- a laptop to desktop size hdd connector maybe?

First of all, have you tried changing the BIOS config? On some laptops, this is not possible, but there is *usually* a way to fix this. Usually, a simple "Bios reset" menu option will do the trick. Also, does your laptop have a floppy drive? Most BIOSs are configured to boot from the floppy drive first. You could then insert a Win/Linux boot disk and repair the system (or use it to boot the CD).

If this doesn't work, then I would suggest using a connector, although I don't really know much about that.

Sorted. I tried selecting booting from a floppy but it wouldnt for some reason so evetually baught an adapter from maplin and wiped the disk from another machine. Runs fine now. (I just installed debian Etch)

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.