Is there any drives for radeon-graphics cards for SLES 10? And if there is, where can i find them? or is it any other way to fix the graphics, i can't have the screen resolution higher than 800x600

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Usually the way to get a video card's full resolution in Linux is to use the correct driver for it, and not some "generic" driver. First find out the exact brand and model of your video card, and then google to find the Linux drivers for it.

Once you've installed it and set it up, you'll find that it performs much better.

Hope this helps

Now days, ATI and Nvidia both have linux drivers (nvidia usually being the better of the two on linux), but you should be able to find the right drivers here:
http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html

Please keep in mind however, that most ATI drivers are in RPM format, so it may not be compatible for your system.

Some advice when asking about drivers, you may want to include the following details:
1. Your OS Distrobution - Please include architecture (i686, x86_64 etc.)
2. Your Product - Manufacture, and product (ie. ATI X600)
3. What exactly your trying to do

This will typically allow people to assist you better. :)

Now days, ATI and Nvidia both have linux drivers (nvidia usually being the better of the two on linux), but you should be able to find the right drivers here:
http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html

Please keep in mind however, that most ATI drivers are in RPM format, so it may not be compatible for your system.

Some advice when asking about drivers, you may want to include the following details:
1. Your OS Distrobution - Please include architecture (i686, x86_64 etc.)
2. Your Product - Manufacture, and product (ie. ATI X600)
3. What exactly your trying to do

This will typically allow people to assist you better. :)

Ok, ill try to remember that. Im new to linux so I don't relly know what's important to include.

However, I found drivers on the ati website, but I don't know what version of Xfree86 Im running, but I downloaded this file from the ati website: "Check.sh", Im supposed to run It to verify my version of Xfree86, but how do I run it?

> Im supposed to run It to verify my version of Xfree86, but how do I run it?

Save it to disk, preferably somewhere easy to remember, like your home folder. Open up a command prompt, such as Konsole, and enter the following commands:

cd path/to/script
chmod +x script.sh
./script.sh

If it complains something about "access denied" or "insufficient privaliges", then you'll need to enter the command su or sudo su before running the aforementioned commands.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.