Does anyone here know of a good C++ compiler for Ubuntu Linux 6.06LTS? Preferably available by means of apt-get or wine.

Dev-C++? I couldn't find it for Linux...

-- Alex; any help appreciated

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

Your compiler is the actual program that converts the source code into computer binary. The only C++ compiler available for Linux that I know of is g++, which is based off of gcc and is usually packaged together. It can be downloaded by using apt-get.

I'm wondering if you mean IDE. Integrated Development Environments provide a text editor with syntax coloring, a way to organize multiple files in a project, and when you press the compile button, it calls a compiler, in Linux this means it will run gcc/g++. There are many IDEs available for Linux; a while back I posted a few links:
http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/post253825-2.html

All of these will work on Ubuntu, so feel free to try them out.

Hope this helps

I am having trouble learning the commands for the linux terminals, so could someone explain the meaning and proper use of the aforementioned "apt-get" command, prefferably with this case as an example of proper use?

Thanks!

Try anjuta ide.

nice c++ ide. compiles on MS and *nix

sudo apt-get install build-essentials

Try anjuta ide.

nice c++ ide. compiles on MS and *nix

Code::Block/CodeLite are superior to Anjuta.

Well but i prefer nano or vim.

and manually make and compile .
;)

Well but i prefer nano or vim.

and manually make and compile .
;)

With big project (hundreds of files), aren't you going to faint?

Not at all. I got used to that. It was a big deal but once you start working like that. You develop your style and speed.

I also got my libraries and templates already.
All these started from quick fixing stuff. You get bored with IDE's taking long to load.

;)

You get bored with IDE's taking long to load.

;)

Talking of Java?

I dont really do more java stuff at the moment. i do more of C++,perl,php and now trying my hands on assembler. Who knows???

;)

I can't manage my big projects without IDE. With Java/PHP i'm proud user of Netbeans though I used and loved IJ idea. It only missed PHP and I'm yet to find good PHP IDE, so I went back to NB. With C++, I struggled whether C::B or CodeLite and ended with CL and I don't regret. I use alot of libraries so, using text is impractical plus RADs and such stuffs. I shyed away from perl from my early days of learning programming and fell in love with Python....So practically i'm justified ;)

Thats the beauty of programming. Flavors flavors flavor.

What ever turns you on ;)

Thats the beauty of programming. Flavors flavors flavor.

What ever turns you on ;)

There you are :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.