Hello All,

I am new to the forum and have a bit of a problem...

I am trying to change the windows generated UID numbers to specific UIDs when I log in to the linux machines.

I am having trouble changing the UIDs to specific numbers. I downloaded and installed SFU and changed the unix ids on the windows side but the ids aren't changing on the linux side when I log in. they are still the same windows generated UIDs. I attempted changing the winbind_idmap.tdb file which did let me change the UID on the local machine (which is fine) but when I log in as that user the UID will not resolve to the user name anymore (and i get weird errors).

I modified the winbindd_idmap.tdb file with no problems and got it to work when I did an

>"id username"

Command it would show the changed UID and GID.. The problem I am having now is that when I try to login as the modified user it cannot resolve a username to that UID. When I open a terminal it looks like this…

[I have no [EMAIL="name!@computer"]name!@computer[/EMAIL] directory]

Is there a file that maps UIDs to specific user names? I looked in the samba directory (where I found the winbindd_idmap.tdb file) and no other database files have username information in them.
Any ideas on that?

Any help would be great,

10 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by alienlinux

Typically, the passwd keeps the UID's of users, if your using winbind however, it will probably be controlled by the domain controller, if you do a getent passwd do you see the users and their UID's?

And did you restart the winbind daemon after making the changes?

I tried getent passwd and found my username being attached to the UID I configured in the winbindd_idmap.tdb file. And it looks fine. But I still have the same problem. It will not resolve the username. I get errors saying that a username cannot be found for my uid when I log in using my username.

Are there any other files that would have my username/UID information?

By reseting the domain controller you mean just restart the windows box right? I will do that but I don't think that will help. I also run a local samba service restart everytime I make a change.

not sure if i understand completely, but if your looking to change the UID of the *nix user, you use vipw :) do not use vi on passwd!

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.