I have about 200 photos presently downloaded to a windows laptop. I want to transfer them to my Mac to edit them in Photoshop. Is there a way to directly connect the pc to the mac via usb or firewire that will allow me to drag the folder from one machine to the other

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Hello,

There *might* be a way to directly connect a Mac and PC via Firewire, but without knowing your model, I cannot say further. Back in the day, there was a "SCSI Disk Mode" that a powerbook could go into under OS9, and hook it to another Mac via a SCSI cable. The powerbook would then turn into an external SCSI hard drive.

Now, if both computers have an ethernet connection, you could wire them up through a hub, and have one be a "server" and the other be a "client". IN this case, your PC would be the server, and the Mac would be the client. Let us know what OS you are running on BOTH computers, and we can help you out more there.

Or, you can burn a CD/DVD ROM. Assuming you ahve a burner on the PC, and a reader on the Mac, that would work too. (hint -- if you ever want to go reverse, to have a Mac burn, and a PC read, make sure to use ISO 9660 format on the Mac side so that Bill's friends can read the disk).

Let us know more details on what you have, and we can go from there. I'll look tonight.

Christian

Hello,

There *might* be a way to directly connect a Mac and PC via Firewire, but without knowing your model, I cannot say further. Back in the day, there was a "SCSI Disk Mode" that a powerbook could go into under OS9, and hook it to another Mac via a SCSI cable. The powerbook would then turn into an external SCSI hard drive.

Thank you for your reply. I di not want to go the cd route

My mac is a G4 using 10.2 OS and the pcis using windows XP operating system. I tried to hook up via a usb port without any result. Any help will be appreciated. My plan is to transfer into the MAC to utilize PHOTOSHOP.

thank you

If your laptop has firewire, you can put the G4 into "firewire mode" by booting it and holding down "t". A FW icon will appear on the monitor and then you can connect the 2 with a firewire cable. The G4's primary drive will appear as a mounted drive on the PC.

Hi,

As a followup, I would make all the connections with both computers turned off. Just in case.

Christian

Hi,
the laptop pc is a toshiba and it does not have a firewire port

A

You could use a crossover cable and connect the two of them and set up file sharing betwixt the two of them, but you might as well just burn the photos on a CD and move them with sneakernet.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.