:?: Switched to mac.

1) When buying my imac, I did not order extra memory, as the Apple store prices seemed extreme. Shopping for memory, there is a wide range of prices. If this was a PC system, I would buy the lowest price that meet the specs. Experienced mac users, if I buy Kingston value ram will I be able to tell the difference from more expensive ram?

2) How much ram?

3) Moving Quicken99 windows to quicken 2004 mac has been a real pain. Following intuit instructions as yielded 2004 files without the most recent 3 years, and one with the signs changed, (payment and credit reversed). Intuit web site is worthless. It may be that my mac ignorance is causing the problem. ideas?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

1) When buying my imac, I did not order extra memory, as the Apple store prices seemed extreme. Shopping for memory, there is a wide range of prices. If this was a PC system, I would buy the lowest price that meet the specs. Experienced mac users, if I buy Kingston value ram will I be able to tell the difference from more expensive ram?

2) How much ram?

Hello.
Though I'm not very experienced, I just buy the brand ram that came with each of my eMacs. One being Centon and the other being Simpletech. Both 512mb so I have 1024mb in each. I also watched the prices as they fluctuate quite a bit where I live. Cheapest was $79 and most expensive was $109 and that one was $129 the previous week. Don't know about iMac's, but eMac's use a lot of memory. At least mine do.

Crucial is an excellent RAM provider. Kingston is decent. Ramjet is decent.

How much RAM depends on what you want to do. The bare minimum you should have is 512MB. I'd say 1GB is the max you would ever need with an iMac. 768MB sounds like a nice round
number, eh?

2) How much ram?

3) Moving Quicken99 windows to quicken 2004 mac has been a real pain. Following intuit instructions as yielded 2004 files without the most recent 3 years, and one with the signs changed, (payment and credit reversed). Intuit web site is worthless. It may be that my mac ignorance is causing the problem. ideas?

This is obviuously not a site for true tyro/newbies. Yellow seems to know much more about ram memory than I. I just go by what apple says until my warranty runs out.

It was quite interesting, though not very helpful for new computer users.
Thanks
Dan

Hello,

One thing to consider with the iMac is that your memory slots may be limited. Check inside to see how many slots you have... you might already have 512 MB installed, but have two slots and both are filled with 256 MB. How can you check? Go to the Blue Apple menu in the upper left corner, and click on About This Mac... Then go and hit the More Info... button. Look in the Memory section of the Hardware panel, and see what your slots look like. If they are all full, you will ahve to remove memory in order to add a larger stick, meaning a piece will come out and stay out.

Think before you order, and go overboard if you can. Memory is always handy to have.

Christian

2) How much ram?

Hi there

I recently treated myself to a sparkly new G5 PowerMac and it came with 256mb as standard which is not enough for the Graphic Design work that i want to do in applications such as Photoshope etc.

I went to Cancom and bought a pair of 2x 256mb chips to take me up to 768mb and this has made my machine a lot faster. It was alos really easy for me to install which as en experiebced mac user but newbie in terms of installing stuff was a great relief!!

Lisa

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.