Last night, I ran out and got Tiger at the local Apple Store. I just want to tell you all of my disasterous experience as a "don't let this happen to you." As some of you may know, I have two striped internal 250s, resulting in a half a terabyte partition. I also have a 500 gig LaCie firewire drive. Generally I keep the system, apps, and files for projects I'm currently working on on the internal hdd. The fw drive is for archives, backups, less frequently used files, and daily / weekly DaniWeb db backups.
What always seems to happen to me everytime I install a new OS, is I like to dig deep into all its new features, and play around for a couple of days, seeing what's changed and experimenting. Usually the first install of a new OS doesn't last longer than a week before I've royally screwed something up, at which time I'll do a clean format, and keep that system pristine for months 'n' months 'n' months (now that I've gotten the kid with a new toy syndrome out of my system). It just always seems to take two times with me with a new OS ;)
So, in any case, I figured I'd do a regular upgrade to Panther, play around for awhile, seeing how Tiger handles all of my apps and such. Then, do a clean reformat either the next day or in a couple of days.
Even though I was doing an upgrade, I just wanted to be on the safe side, and I backed everything (including email inboxes) up to my LaCie. I then unmounted the LaCie and did an upgrade.
Little did I know that it is disasterous to do any type of system update or OS upgrade with external devices plugged in! It's not enough that they be unmounted - they cannot be physically connected to the computer.
Needless to say, the Upgrade didn't go smoothly at all. The newly upgraded system was extraordinarily unstable, and my LaCie's directory structure was screwed up.
I did a clean format into Tiger, and got the system working good. Still no LaCie - it was able to detect the drive but couldn't mount the partition due to hdd errors. Disk Doctor did nothing. LUCKILY I had previously reformatted my LaCie disk to use a journaling file system (by default it doesn't) and DiskWarrior was able to rescue the drive.
And now everything is all working and I'm happy ... but just a warning to you guys! ;)