Having a bad time with my G5 2.5. Upgraded to OS X 10.3.6 and everything has gone downhill from there. System slowed dramatically - fans whirred - and I was thinking of lawsuits that Apple would soon be facing for false advertising relative to their speed claims. Upgrade to 10.3.7 and nothing improved.

Reloaded the OS to take me back and I am now on 10.3.5 and the system is MUCH faster but I do not get a printer dialouge box when I try to print out of Safari. Nothing at all shows up when I hit print from the File Menu. Everything else prints fine.

Have updated to the latest Java level but that didn't help. Any ideas for a relatively new Mac user?

Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Know of some printing problems with Jaguar but Panther was supposed to correct that. Your thread title says cannot print FROM safari but in your post you state cannot print from OUTSIDE safari? If you go to Applications/Utilities/Print Center does the document show up in the print queue?

Know of some printing problems with Jaguar but Panther was supposed to correct that. Your thread title says cannot print FROM safari but in your post you state cannot print from OUTSIDE safari? If you go to Applications/Utilities/Print Center does the document show up in the print queue?

No, nothing shows up in the queue at all from Safari (though it does from all other programs). Basically, if you hit Print in Safari the menu just disappears and literally nothing happens.

Hello,

I am not sure what is driving your Safari problems. Have you gone into Page Setup / Print setup, and set the options there first? Does a printer show up for you to properly format for?

For a short term fix, you might consider www.mozilla.org and grabbing the Firefox browser. While it won't fix your Safari problem, it will give you an alternative in the meantime.

Also, I would try printing to a file, a .pdf specifically. See if the print engine handles that correctly.

Christian

Hello,

I am not sure what is driving your Safari problems. Have you gone into Page Setup / Print setup, and set the options there first? Does a printer show up for you to properly format for?

For a short term fix, you might consider www.mozilla.org and grabbing the Firefox browser. While it won't fix your Safari problem, it will give you an alternative in the meantime.

Also, I would try printing to a file, a .pdf specifically. See if the print engine handles that correctly.

Christian

Suspecting that the problem had to do with the bizarre upgrade / downgrade path I took to rid myself of the speed problem I decide to give something a try.

I had gone from 10.3.5 to 10.3.6 where the problems first started. The upgrade to 10.3.7 didn't help much so I reinstalled 10.3.4 and upgraded that to 10.3.5 where everything except Safari was fine. Assuming that the problems had originated in 10.3.6 and had remained there even after the upgrade, I decide to skip over it and go directly to 10.3.7. Viola. It worked. Safari prints again and the system is nearly (though not quite) back up to the speed levels of 10.3.5.

Confused? To simplify... stay away from 10.3.6.

Thanks to all for their help!

Try removing the printer from your system and then adding it again.

If this dose not work try to deleting the caches in /Library/Caches/ then reboot the machine.

If this is still not working. Create a new account on the system and see if they have the same problem.

Good luck.

--
Lucid Information Systems.
Information processing and storage consultants

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.