Tavy 0 Newbie Poster

I have a 500GB external harddisk formatted FAT32 connected by FW800 to my iMAC 24'.

Since iMovies only provides one video track, which make it difficult to cut&paste scenes to make it look seemless, I decided to use the adobe premiere elements (which has 2 tracks) which I had been using previously.

When I connected the external harddisk (equipped with FW400 as well) to my PC, it showed the folders but just could access the files for some strange reason. I then tried creating a new folder through the WinXP, and that's when things started going weird. I disconnected and reconnected and this time round it show the harddisk as "Local Hard Drive" and couldn't access the drive.

By this time I was getting a little worried, so I swapped the cables back to my Mac, and discovered that everything had disappeared!!!! In Disk Utility, it said I had a fresh harddisk...nothing in it!!!

Help!! How can I get the data back? I suspect that WinXP in trying to create a folder might have corrupted something. Does anyone have any ideas on how to save the data?? Everything I have - movies, data, music, photos - everything has been lost.

Any one has any ideas of how I can prevent such a stupid thing from happening again?