My son tried to access our laptop & this is what it said :(

This is the message blue screen

Stop C0000218 {Registry File Failure}

The registry can't load the hive (file) \systemroot\system32\config\software or it's log or alternate.

It is corrupt, absent or not writeable,. Beginning dump of physical memory. Physical memory dump complete. Contact your System Admin or technical support for further assistance.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Michelle

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Had you or your son installed any programs on the machine just prior to trying to restart?

Try to boot into safemode. Hit F8 just before the windows load screen shows up. that will give you boot options, and select safemode.

If you can get into safemode, that's a start. go to run, and type 'msconfig' without the quotes. under the startup options, deselect all the programs, and try to reboot.

If you CAN'T get into safemode, then the hard drive is most likely currupted. This could be from an old drive getting bad sectors, or it could be software based from the computer stopping unexpectedly. You'd have a couple of options from here:

one, a program that's saved my bacon before, called Spinrite. it's a drive recovery tool that should help recover your laptops hard drive.

If you don't want to shell out the 80 bucks for spinrite, you could try reinstalling windows on the machine. make sure you wipe the partition, don't just try a repair-install. and when you format the drive, use a standard format, not a quick one. the standard format will look through the drive, mark any bad sectors, and not use them.

thanks, but if he can't get to windows, he can't get to start, & F8 isn't working.

Thanks anyway

Michelle

i am assuming you have windows XP installed, Correct? put the Xp cd in the pc set you bios to boot from the cd first. when you get tot he screeen to repair windows choose r, windows will delete some files then reinstall critical system files. reastrt you shold be back into windows.

Yeh unfortunately we bought this laptop used, & we don't have the disk, & now I'm finding out my son lost my bought version of XP Proff., so I'm not happy.

Thanks anyway

Michelle

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.