Well i bought an hp dv2000 notebook in july for school, it came with vista, and i hated it. So i inevitably downgraded my OS to windows XP, and my notebook was running 10 times better. After a few weeks of running Xp however, my laptop has begun randomly shutting down, the screen will just turn black and then the whole notebook will turn off. I am pretty sure the cause is over heating, because it only happens when the underside of my laptop gets really warm, and since i installed XP, all of the power settings on my laptop have been kind of wierd, like stand by mode doesnt really work, if i close the screen, the computer stays on full blast it doesnt go into standby mode or shut down. Sooo if anyone knows the solution to my problem please let me know, THANKS!:)

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

this kind of sounds like a serious problem. check your fans and make sure they are not clogged with dust. Adjust power settings a little lower, and buy a notebook chill pad from tiger direct, they are very cheap.

Vista is a great os (for me), maybe you should consider a dual boot of vista and xp, or even reinstalling vista. but if xp works for you, keep it. hp claims that performance will be degraded when you downgrade to xp, and a similar shut down problem happened to my friend when he down graded to xp. he couldn't send his pc in until he upgraded back to vista, and then his pc stopped having trouble. consider xp, and your heat problems and shutdown issues will go away.

good luck.

hi rbert, consider what forumdude suggest, try dual booting xp and vista or upgrade back to vista maybe it will solve your issues, vista is good maybe you haven't just get used to it....

Rbertsch8,
PCs usually only shutdown randomly for a few reasons. One could be heat which was mentioned above the other could be an incorrect driver.

You can checkout the heat issue by installing Speedfan (http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php) or I would recommend CPU-Z (http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php). Either of these will give you the temperature of the CPU and other system components. It may also be useful to monitor the temperatures while doing something CPU intensive such as running a Prime95 benchmark. Let it run for sometime just to see how hot your system actually gets. If you run this for sometime and monitor the temperatures and don't see the temps approach an unreasonable level there could be something else wrong. If the problem was incorrect drivers you would usually see the Windows error report box upon startup which you didn't mention so this is probably not the case.

Well i bought an hp dv2000 notebook in july for school, it came with vista, and i hated it. So i inevitably downgraded my OS to windows XP, and my notebook was running 10 times better. After a few weeks of running Xp however, my laptop has begun randomly shutting down, the screen will just turn black and then the whole notebook will turn off. I am pretty sure the cause is over heating, because it only happens when the underside of my laptop gets really warm, and since i installed XP, all of the power settings on my laptop have been kind of wierd, like stand by mode doesnt really work, if i close the screen, the computer stays on full blast it doesnt go into standby mode or shut down. Sooo if anyone knows the solution to my problem please let me know, THANKS!:)

I have problem like yours earlier. Try to clean dust with vacuum cleaner. Just put pipe near cooling fan on both intake and outtake sides.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.