I am trying to install Windows XP Pro, on a new PC. I know the disc works because I just tested it on another PC.
Anyway - what happens, is that it gets through the first part fine. I create a new partition (entire size of drive) and format NTFS (quick) -- and it copies files, and then restarts -- then it goes to the XP loading screen (the one that comes up on an installed PC when it boots) and just stays there. The little bar at the bottom moves, but it never gets past that screen -- I have let it sit for over an hour on that screen.
I have tried this a total of about 6 times. Tried a fresh disc -- tested disc on another PC, switched the CD drive.
The hard drive is SATA -- but I don't remember having to install SATA drivers, when installing XP on my other PC's with SATA drives. Am I remembering correctly?
I guess I am going to try just 1 stick of RAM next - I just wanted to go ahead and post this, so hopefully I'll have something else to try, soon, if that doesn't work.
Anyway -- I suppose I should list hardware.
- ASUS M2N-E SLI AM2 NVIDIA nForce 500 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail (w/ AMD AthlonX2 3800+)
- ASUS EN7100GS512/TD/128M GeForce 7100GS 512MB (128MB onboard) 64-bit GDDR2 PCI
- OCZ Gold 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit
- Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
- FSP Group (Fortron Source) FSP350-60BN-S ATX12V 350W Power Supply - Retail
- Samsung SW-248 CD Burner (this is just an old drive I had laying around) - the other drive is a NoName drive (at least nothing on face plate) (also had laying around) -- it's installed at the moment, so I can't look at the label to see what it is)
Or you can see what I have here (apart from CPU (not listed anymore) and CD drives (just using spare's I have laying around)