I have been having this problem with windows defender for a very long time. Whenever I click the update definitions on Windows Defender I get an error code and it is unable to update. My AVG antivirus and Comodo firewall have no problems updating. Even my windows update works properly. I tried disabling all firewalls but it is still the same problem.

If I cant solve this...how do I uninstall windows defender? I hate getting the pop up about outdated definitions file on startup...

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

Hi

Close Windows Defender from system tray, Right click the little icon next to the clock and select Exit.

If you delete the old update, checking for new updates will work.

To do this, Press Start > Run and type Msiexec /x {A5CC2A09-E9D3-49EC-923D-03874BBD4C2C} and click OK (you can copy and paste the Msiexec bit).

Open Windows Defender and check for updates.

If the above fails, try the following:

Windows XP and Windows Server 2003

1. Click Start, click Run, type wuaucpl.cpl, and then click OK.
2. Click Automatic (Recommended), and then click OK.

Windows Vista

1. Click the Start Orb, click All Programs, and then click Windows Update.
2. In the left pane, click Change settings.
3. Click to select Install updates automatically (recommended).
4. Under Recommended updates, select the Include recommended updates when downloading, installing, or notifying me about updates check box, and then click OK.

User Access Control - If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password, or provide confirmation.

hmm....first few methods didnt work...
i tried install updates automatically but i got an error code too

oh yea...for the MSIEXEC bit i got an error saying this action is only available for products currently installed...

thanks! it works!

HI, just joined this site out of desparation. Suddenly Windows Defender is asking me for a password before I can access my e-mail account using Windows Mail (never did it before) but worse - when I complete it I am informed I have no new mail. But if I check mail2web.com, lo and behold I have mail waiting for me! Any clues as to what's going on? Defender will not allow me to update saying it does not recognise my processor (Intel Pentium dual core) I can't seem to disable Windows Defender as it tells me it's not running yet still keeps flashing up a password request.

HI, just joined this site out of desparation. Suddenly Windows Defender is asking me for a password before I can access my e-mail account using Windows Mail (never did it before) but worse - when I complete it I am informed I have no new mail. But if I check mail2web.com, lo and behold I have mail waiting for me! Any clues as to what's going on? Defender will not allow me to update saying it does not recognise my processor (Intel Pentium dual core) I can't seem to disable Windows Defender as it tells me it's not running yet still keeps flashing up a password request.

You replied to an almost 2 year old thread.
Start your own thread for assistance.

My Windows Defender suddenly turned off and I cannot turn it on a message Error 0x800106ba appears pls help me to turn Windows Defender back on.

Close Windows Defender from system tray, Right click the little icon next to the clock and select Exit.

I have a similar problem whereby Windows Defender is now telling me that it doesn't recognize the Norton updates for malware? I know I should be able to use one or the other but I've been using a combination up until recently with no problems.

There's no ICON beside the clock can't you understand that my Windows Defender turned off? pls don't give wrong advised ok?

Tried you update procedure two times but the procedure just dissapears after I click open nothing happens

There's no ICON beside the clock can't you understand that my Windows Defender turned off? pls don't give wrong advised ok?

hi,posters you are replying to are only signature spammer and just typing shit ignore them .
i stoped using windows defender because of the broblem you are having ,i now use microsoft security essentials on all my computers as my virus and spyware ,with very good results.

had you read forum rules you would have see that you were to start your own thread and nopt tag a old one ,for best results

I think you are right about Windows Defender

Note that a lot of guides have asked to disable Windows Defender service via Services in Control Panel and uncheck the startup item in System Configuration (MSConfig) in order to turn off Windows Defender and prevent it from starting up. This is uncessary, and it’s not a recommended way as any misstep will cause error message (explained below).
1. Run Windows Defender from Start Menu.
2. Click on Tools button.
3. Then click on Options link under “Tools and Settings” section.
4. Scroll down the “Options” page, and uncheck the check boxes of the following two settings:
Use real-time protection (recommended) under “Real-time protection options”

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.