when trying to install, while copying files to windows insalation folder, many files come up as: "setup cannot copy the file." so i just skip file. or they come up as: "file was not copied corectly." What can i do?

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

are you installing or copying windows file in windows directory?
or are you trying to install a new copy of windows?
can you be more specific?

Try cleaning the installation disc.
Some files can be safely skipped, others cannot.
Sometimes copying the disc will reduce the number of errors.

Im trying a new install on a new computer i just put together

i think that its probably a corrupt cd.

is it slipstreamed?

on cds that you have slipstreamed it sometimes gives you errors but generally you dont need to worry about them

if its an actual pressed xp cd then its not normal

it is an actual pressed xp cd but it works just fine when i install hard drive and cd into my other pc it seams to work just fine. however i then cannot place hard drive into pc i made because it is not set up for that system. :)
any ideas?

it is an actual pressed xp cd but it works just fine when i install hard drive and cd into my other pc it seams to work just fine. however i then cannot place hard drive into pc i made because it is not set up for that system. :)
any ideas?

You can make it work by placing the HD in the new system and using the second repair option. This will update the drivers for the board, although you'll probably need to manually update other drivers.
Are you using the same CD drive in both cases? If not, I'd suspect the drive is flaky.

ive tried two other cd drives that i bought brand new and both give same problems, ill try the second repair options next :)

if possible remove and add in cards like nic and modem and sound cards ,if you have all on board devices go to bios and disable them until after you install windows .also if you have on board video and are using a add in video card take it out also ,and use the on board video .

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.