I just recently bought a new laptop running Vista. I know very little about The Vista O.S. I have created a new primary partition, formatted it, and copied the i386 files to it. When I try to run the wnnt32.exe it will not run. I followed this exact same strategy with Windows XP pro and it worked great. Whats the problem and solution/ Anyone know?

Contributors
Replies
Views
9 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by jbennet

The problem is 2003 is older than Vista. You should install 2003 first in this dual boot configuration.

instead of copying the files to the partition. you should use the cd to bot then install on the new partition you created.

The problem is 2003 is older than Vista. You should install 2003 first in this dual boot configuration.

That sounds like good advice. The problem I may have is that if I clear Vista from the PC and install Server 2003 first. I only have a recovery disk that I made when I purchased the new laptop. As you know they dont sell new Pc`s anymore with the OS on a disk. Wouldn`t me using the recovery disk erase the copy of Server at that point?

Contact me at rhamilton1967@comcast.net if you want to discuss this in more detail.

As you know they dont sell new Pc`s anymore with the OS on a disk

they do, you just go to the wrong manufacturers

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.