I'm having a problem with a laptop I recently reformatted.

It does not matter what connection method I used (LAN, WLAN, WAN, and Dial-Up), I cannot access the internet.

The drivers are all installed and Windows says they are working properly. However, I've tried connecting to a network through a network cable, through a wireless network connection, by plugging in a telephone line and connecting to dial up, and even plugging in a Verizon Wireless broadband card. Nothing works. The internet is not available.

When I connect using the LAN or WLAN, it is set to retrieve the IP address and DNS server settings automatically. The IP address retrieves correctly and matches the range set by my server. The DNS server that it retrieves is off by one digit and if I go in and set my preferred DNS address to the correct address it works to connect either of those two methods.

The modem says it is not getting a dial tone but Windows says it is install and working properly.

The broadband card said it was unable to connect.

Does this sound like one problem causing everything or just a collection of other problems? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

if you're confident enough that all your settings are right and your network device is working properly then it might be your ISP line is causing the problem... ask your service provider to check for you...

Are oyu in a network environment.alot of users (LAN)

based on your question :
"When I connect using the LAN or WLAN, it is set to retrieve the IP address and DNS server settings automatically. The IP address retrieves correctly and matches the range set by my server. The DNS server that it retrieves is off by one digit and if I go in and set my preferred DNS address to the correct address it works to connect either of those two methods."

i guess that u have a DHCP server giving out address ..

If your Network card is perfect then you should be able to

1.Gateway
2.Next ip
3.My network palces..

else.

check if u have proxy settings.. even misconfiguring them could lead to "page cannot be displayed errors"

if you have succeded in achieving the above then the problem is with ISP....

awaiting ur reply

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.