Hi all, I'm trying to install IIS on my Vista 32 Business and when I select anything in the Turn Windows Features on or off dialog it acts like it's doing stuff, then it just stops. I looked in windows logs and there are a bunch of "failed to complete the process of setting up the package XXX" errors. Any help is greatly appreciated. thanks, d

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

have you installed anything new, like hardware, software, etc. It may be causing the problems. Also, use system restore to go back to an earlier time (after backing up data), and maybe it should work.

P.S. what is IIS, i hear a lot about it but i don't get exactly what it is.

Unfortunately this problem has been happening for a few months and I've installed new software that I can't lose through a restore.

IIS is Internet Information Services, basically it's microsoft's web-server. It's used to deploy asp.net applications, and serve websites.

Can you install IIS without this dead utility? Also, do you have a vista installation disk? If you do, then you can install IIS from it.

IIS is integrated into Vista so I don't know if there's a way around it, I guess I'll try to poke around the DVD and see if I can find a way to fix the problem. Its not necessarily just IIS there's also a few other features that I wanted to enable.

Hi all, I'm trying to install IIS on my Vista 32 Business and when I select anything in the Turn Windows Features on or off dialog it acts like it's doing stuff, then it just stops. I looked in windows logs and there are a bunch of "failed to complete the process of setting up the package XXX" errors. Any help is greatly appreciated. thanks, d

when you say windows box are you referring to the add/remove windows components in control panel?
if IIS will not install check what version of the .NET framework you are running.

The whole add/remove windows components dialog/system isn't working at all, if I try to add or remove any components it fails and leaves 20-30 error messages in my windows log.

The whole add/remove windows components dialog/system isn't working at all, if I try to add or remove any components it fails and leaves 20-30 error messages in my windows log.

so how are you installing IIS. and have you checked for updates to vista

I can load the windows features dialog, I can select and remove components in the dialog, but when I hit ok it acts like it's doing stuff and then it just closes. I look at my logs and it has about 30 errors saying that the various components failed.

I did some more research and supposedly it's a problem with the windows update system as the two things are somewhat integrated.
I ran a SFC /f Scannow and it said that there were several corrupt files. I tried to do an in place upgrade from my DVD and it failed, booting into the BSOD. So I restored to the pre-update version and now I'm back where I started.

If anyone has any suggestions let me know.
Thanks.

have you tried updating from the windows update site

It refuses telling me to use the Windows Update from the control panel

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.