Hi,

I have a several computers on my LAN. One of the computers is the file server. There are a shared folder that is currently shared on the network. There is no a proper permission set on that folder. This means anyone can access to it. What i'd like to do is to set a permission on that. So what i've done is that i've found some help on the internet. I followed the procedure. What i've done for a testing only is as follows

1. turned off the simple file sharing
2. set up a user and a group and put the user into the group
3. go to the shared folder called aaa -> click on sharing and security -> under sharing, select the share this folder, then permission, add the group (Full Control)-> apply and OK
-> then go to security tab, add the group (Full Control)

After having done all that, i went to the other computer that has its simple file sharing turned off as well. I went to my network places folder, and i could actually see that folder. When i clicked on the folder, it said that it is not accessible, ... contact administrator.

I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me where i did wrong here?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Hi Just a Nobody,

Thank you for your reply. I think i know what i really want now. What i want is to be able to password-protect the folder that resides on the file server machine on the network so that any users on their computers that're already attached to it will have to provide a correct password to be granted access to the folder.

I don't think the file sharing supports this. Are there a third party software program that support this?

Your help is greatly appreciated and look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you

You can accomplish this using NTFs permissions. Right click the folder and select sharing and security.
-on the sharing tab, click permissions, in the top box make sure the group "everyone" is there, and grant it full control.
-on the security tab, only add the users and groups you want to access the folder. Any user not on that list will not be able to access the folder on the file server. Make sure you remove the "everyone" group from the list.

Thank you Squires and Just a Nobody for your help and advices.

However, can i ask a very silly question?

You said as follows
You can accomplish this using NTFs permissions. Right click the folder and select sharing and security.
-on the sharing tab, click permissions, in the top box make sure the group "everyone" is there, and grant it full control.
-on the security tab, only add the users and groups you want to access the folder. Any user not on that list will not be able to access the folder on the file server. Make sure you remove the "everyone" group from the list.

I think i know what you mean now. However, one thing i am not sure of is that when you create a new user. I must create a user on ComputerA with the same username and password that is already set on the ComputerB, am i right? But can it also mean that by doing that you actually create another new user for your local computer. Remember that in windows, we are allowed to create as many accounts as we like. So i think when we create a new user, that really applies to the local computer. So even if i log onto my computerB with the same username and password that is set on the computerA, the compA doesn't allow me to access when i doubleclick on the shared folder from compB. It said permission denied or something like that. It just doen't recognise the user from compB. Is this theory right?

That's what i tried before and it didn't work. Your ideas are highly welcome and appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Hi,

I HAVE SIMILAR KIND OF PROBLEM MENTIONED:

I am currently facing difficulties in sharing files/folder over the network in WINDOWS 2003 domain environment.

PROLEM is easy to understand. I want to enable File/Folder sharing but restriction applies as one department can't access other department's shared folder.

First of all i can't understand two tabs one is Share Permissions another is Security Tab. I can understand that Share Permission relates to Network Sharing Permissions and Security Setting reflects to Local Security. But still can't differentiate properly where to set what for whom.

Now the main problem is file/folder sharing works ok as i want, but it only works when i add individual users in share permission setting, but doesn't work when i add users in group and then add group in share permission settings.

So i can't understand why it works with individual users and why doesn't work with users in group.

I want to assign permissons to group rather than individual users and facing this difficulty.

PLEASE HELP !.

THANKS A LOT.

Dear,
i have the same problem have you fixed it?
Thanks

AMF

Advanced file sharing using users and groups only really works well if there is a centralised store of user information, such as a Windows Domain.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.