Hello all you good people.
I have a new problem! I installed broadband on my PC and the connection was being cut and my PC automatically shut itself down. I looked into it and it seems like I had a worm or something so I installed a program that removed it.
However, I'm not sure if it worked correctly.
My PC is now so verrrry slow and my CPU is constantly running at 100% which is obviously the reason programs are running in such a slow manner. Anyone know how to sort it? I reckon there must be a bug somewhere but don't know how to fix it!!??!! Bugger!

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Use ctrl+alt+del and go to the processes screen. What are the top few processes requiring the most cpu usage (dragging it down to 100%)?

Also, go to run and then type "msconfig"
Go to the startup tab and do a print screen of everything you have running at startup

need to know which windows O.S your using
you probably need this application STARTER Its like a advanced ctrl+alt+delete
Post what CSCgal said first and then will help you turn off some services (resource hoggs)DOWNLOAD HERE

need to know which windows O.S your using
you probably need this application STARTER Its like a advanced ctrl+alt+delete
Post what CSCgal said first and then will help you turn off some services (resource hoggs)DOWNLOAD HERE

There's a thread by him right below this one in the forum listing.

I would assume Windows XP.

And there's no reason to download a third party program to disable services. if it's XP, there's an .msc snap-in that lets you do whatever you desire concerning services.

Steve, you've got one (of many) variant of the Blaster worm. When you CTRL+ALT+DEL, go to the "Processes" tab and look for msblast.exe. If that's running (sounds like it) then post back.

Running XP Pro - think I've sussed it - went to Symnatec(?) and got rid of the worm - I think. Is there any programme or web based thing that anyone knows about so I can test my system to make sure it's running at it's optimum???

You would do well to go to windowsupdate.com and download all the current critical updates, so you dont keep getting the blaster or welch worm.

If you already have Norton Anti-Virus then keep it updated. If you only used the Norton fix, and don't want to purchase an antivirus program, AVG offers a free version of anti-virus software:

http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php

There are also a few programs (PCMark2002-$20, SiSoft Sandra-$39) that you could run to test your performance. Both of these programs have trial versions you can use. They may be a little too much in the way of information (especially Sandra) if you are fairly new to the computer world, but can serve your purpose.

Yeah - the thing with the automatic updates from windows is....for my sins im using someone elses copy (shock horror!) so I can't download critical updates as (obviously) the product key I'm using has already been registered! I know I'm v v naughty - anyway gettin round this?!?

Yeah there are a few ways (naughty). Shoot me your email address and I'll ffd you the instructions.

jjorgensen626@hotmail.com

I hope i dont get booted for this

Running XP Pro - think I've sussed it - went to Symnatec(?) and got rid of the worm - I think. Is there any programme or web based thing that anyone knows about so I can test my system to make sure it's running at it's optimum???

I know that I'm coming a little late to this party, but some important new information has come to light. It turns out that even with the MS patches applied, there are still DCOM/RPC vunerabilities. Go to Gibson Research Corp at http://www.GRC.com and download DCOMbobulator and ShootTheMessenger. The first shuts down DCOM, and the second shuts down the Windows Messenger Service, useful only as a source of spam pop-ups, most selling "services" to stop spam pop-ups...

It's also good to use Gibson's UPnP utility to shut off Universal Plug and Play, another useless feature. All of these utilities are reversible, as well.

commented: from big b +1

Hi all. I am having a somewhat related problem...

Almost every application I open spikes my cpu to 100%, but does not keep it there unless I am using some function of the application. This seems odd to me and has crashed or slowed to a crawl many apps lately.

Also, I have noticed when XP is loading my desktop, my mouse curser moves very slowly, and this happens when loading other apps... which is from the cpu I'm sure.

Is my cpu on the fritz, my motherboard going out, some configuration messed up?

Thanks!!!

winlogon.exe is always shooting my cpu up at 99% is there a way to fix that? i am using windows xp pro

Try downloading a program called spybot search and destroy you may well have some spyware that could be hogging the processor.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.