Hello all
I am trying to dual boot a Dell Latitude D600 with windows 98se and windows xp pro.
I have partitioned and formated the hard drive and windows 98 loads ok until it gets to the following screen,
Windfows 98 setup
Windows is now setting up the following items:
Control Panel
Programs on the Start menu
Windows Help
MS-DOS program settings
Tuning up Application Start
System Configuration
The arrow drops down to Programs on the Start menu, and thats as far as it goes. Everything just freezes there and I have to swith off and start all over again.
Needless to say exactly the same thing happens each time at the same point.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Mickmac

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Have you already installed in Windows XP on your machine. Or is this the first windows installation.

Becase you will have consider lot many things when installing lower version of windows on to latest version. Its normally the other way around.

ssharish

Have you already installed in Windows XP on your machine. Or is this the first windows installation.

Becase you will have consider lot many things when installing lower version of windows on to latest version. Its normally the other way around.

ssharish

Hi SSharish
I am installing windows 98se on a newly partitioned and formatted hard drive. Windows xp to be installed later.
Thanks for your interest.
Mickmac

Is the drive new? I realise the Win 98 set up does a disk-check, but it might be worth running a manufacturer's diagnostic on it.
If you can access the drive after the problems but before you format ready for another go, look for Setuplog.txt in C:/ - it may reveal what went wrong.

Is the drive new? I realise the Win 98 set up does a disk-check, but it might be worth running a manufacturer's diagnostic on it.
If you can access the drive after the problems but before you format ready for another go, look for Setuplog.txt in C:/ - it may reveal what went wrong.

Hi Brundle
The drive is not new and was working ok under x/p pro. I have done a low level format overnight and tried loading win98 again, but still run into the same problem. I am now wondering if there is a hidden partition containing the x/p pro system recovery files, which is unaffected by the low level format and is affecting the loading of win98.
Setuplog.txt just produces Bad command or file name.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.