I'm trying to reformat my friends laptop (massive amounts of spyware, viruses, and missing files.. it's a wreck), but I first need to carry the files over to my computer so I can transfer them back to her after the format. Her laptop is hooked up to my wired, non-passworded network, and my desktop sees her laptop, but her laptop doesn't see my desktop in My Network Places. I shared all of the files on her laptop, but when I double click her C: icon in My Network Places, it says I don't have access. Any idea what's preventing her from sharing files? By the way, I have two other computers on the network that share perfectly fine.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I'm trying to reformat my friends laptop (massive amounts of spyware, viruses, and missing files.. it's a wreck), but I first need to carry the files over to my computer so I can transfer them back to her after the format. Her laptop is hooked up to my wired, non-passworded network, and my desktop sees her laptop, but her laptop doesn't see my desktop in My Network Places. I shared all of the files on her laptop, but when I double click her C: icon in My Network Places, it says I don't have access. Any idea what's preventing her from sharing files? By the way, I have two other computers on the network that share perfectly fine.

Hi Nitehawk

A few things first

Operating system is ?
The cable used to connect the Laptop and Desktop is it a straight or a crossover cable ?

Check system hardware in control panel make sure no errors there.

Disable the firewall if it is on.

Make sure the Laptop is in the same Workgroup as your desktop !

Change the network user name and the IP address
For example if the Network username for the laptop is Mary change it to Mary1

If the IP address is 192.168.0.2 change it to 192.168.0.3

Close all open folders and restart.

Hope this helps

Darren
South Africa

The desktop and laptop are both hooked up to a router by cat-5 obviously. Both are running Windows XP Home. I'm about to head back up to college so I'll just borrow someones 1gb jump drive and transfer the files to my laptop that way I guess since I cant really use that network lol.

Can we then mark this as solved ?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.