Running windows xp home edition service pack 3.........

shutdown menu from start menu and task manager is missing................... cannot log off or shut down.

managed to recover task manager at this was at one point saying it had been disabled by administrator.

MS help has not helped at all as it tells me to us GPEDIT which is not present on XP home edition or its not on mine anyways!

recently installed optusnet security suite but had to remove it when it failed to initialise properly......... re-installed AVG free.

Have done a system restore which at least gave me back my touch screen capabilities that had also been lost.

Any ideas how to re-instate the shutdown menu's?????

Sorry i know there must be a very simple explanation..................

Thanks in advance

Zoe

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

HI Zoe
Sound's like youre infected with a viruses/ Malware
download trend micro's DOS application here (2.1MB) and the two essential pattern files namely lptXXX and sspdaX_XX(X means latest versions)witch you can find at the same site

extract/install the DOS application and the files in a temp folder(all inthe same folder) in the root of local disk,now go into safe mode and run the DOS application

Ussually works Great
Cheers
Sittas

Thanks for that......... doing that along with using Glarys utilities seems to have fixed the problem.

Thansk again

Zoe

HI Zoe
Sound's like youre infected with a viruses/ Malware
download trend micro's DOS application here (2.1MB) and the two essential pattern files namely lptXXX and sspdaX_XX(X means latest versions)witch you can find at the same site

extract/install the DOS application and the files in a temp folder(all inthe same folder) in the root of local disk,now go into safe mode and run the DOS application

Ussually works Great
Cheers
Sittas

You're welcome.

PLease mark a solved

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.