I am using windows XP SP2 home edition and I can't add another user account...I can but it won't load. At present I have 2 user profiles running (both administrators) with the guest account turned off. I have visitors and for privacy reasons I want them to have their own user account (a limited account) When I switched on the guest account this is the message I got when I tried to log on to it.

User environment
Windows cannot log you on because your profile cannot be loaded check that you are connected to the network or that your network is functioning correctly. If the problem persists contact your network administrator.
DETAIL-The system cannot find the file specified.

I then turned off the guest account and tried opening another account but the same message appeared when I tried to log on.

I then downloaded UPHclean and ran that but still no luck. When i looked in the system file under user profiles it is only showing the 2 existing one and not the new oneI have just created.

Can someone please help.......thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

I am using windows XP SP2 home edition and I can't add another user account...I can but it won't load. At present I have 2 user profiles running (both administrators) with the guest account turned off. I have visitors and for privacy reasons I want them to have their own user account (a limited account) When I switched on the guest account this is the message I got when I tried to log on to it.

User environment
Windows cannot log you on because your profile cannot be loaded check that you are connected to the network or that your network is functioning correctly. If the problem persists contact your network administrator.

I then turned off the guest account and tried opening another account but the same message appeared when I tried to log on.

I then downloaded UPHclean and ran that but still no luck. When i looked in the system file under user profiles it is only showing the 2 existing one and not the new oneI have just created.

I have exactly the same problem. Tried to wrestle my way through Microsoft's knowledge base but couldn't find the exact same problem. I figured you might have a solution by now. Could you please help me?
Thanks.

use regedit to find default user

so you will find profile list and it list the default user folder name

it occasionally changes from Default User to Default User.Windows and etc depending how many times you did your installation on or how many ghosting etc.

Just had to post that cause it been pissing me off after reading your trend and finding no solutions

thanks bye

i know this is a really old thread but i came across while experiencing the same problem. since noone posted an answer, i thought i would. go to c:my computer - documents and settings - click file - add new - name the new file "Default User" then try to log in with the guest or new log in
hope it helps you. it worked for me

thanks.:o

User environment

i know this is a really old thread but i came across while experiencing the same problem. since noone posted an answer, i thought i would. go to c:my computer - documents and settings - click file - add new - name the new file "Default User" then try to log in with the guest or new log in
hope it helps you. it worked for me

thanks.:o

Thanku:icon_smile: Its working

Thank you.
Its working fine

Brilliant. I just had the same problem and found this thread. It worked beautifully.

Creating a default user did work, Thanks

unbelievable but it works!

Many Thanks

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.