On my dell Inspiron 1505 laptop I'm running windows XP sp3. every time I try to shutdown or log off everything but the wallpaper disappears and it freezes up. I've given it as much as an hour so it isn't just going slow. This laptop was working fine until a few days ago immediately after I removed a bunch of software. Earlier today I had to delete upper and lower filters in the registry to get my dvd drive working, However this problem has been occurring since before the registry change i made.
By the sound of it, your uninstall programe has uninstalled more than it should have. try running these :-
Verify Window’s Files
1. Go “START”, “RUN” type “CMD” Press “OK” or Boot PC into “safe mode with command prompt”
2. Type sfc /scannow (note:- space after sfc)
3. Windows file protection will check your files. Follow any prompts; you may be required to use your XP CD.
4. Re-boot your PC
1. Go “Start”
2. “All programs”
4. “System tools”
5. “System Restore”
6. Ensure “Restore to an earlier time” is checked and click “Next”
7. Select an earlier date when your PC worked well. (Must be a highlighted date)
8. Click “Next”
9. Allow system restore and reboot.
10. Check to see if problem still exists.
To Repair Windows XP from your XP CD…..
1. Re-start PC with XP CD in drive (Have your serial number handy)
2. As your PC starts press “F12” for boot menu (Or what your PC may ask for)
3. Scroll to and select “boot from CD.”
4. At prompt “Press any key to boot from CD” Press “Any key”
5. In the Windows XP Setup window, Press “Enter” to set up windows XP, (Don’t worry, this is a repair only, not a fresh install.)
6. At next window, Press “F8” to accept license agreement
7. Wait until windows displays your current version of XP and asks “To repair the selected windows XP installation press R”
8. Press “R”
9. Enter serial number when prompted.
10. Wait for files to be copied (PC will indicate 39 mins, it will take a lot less.)
11. When asked to adjust Regional language options, click “Next” as it is still set.
12. PC will re-boot.
13. If you have AVG Free, copy serial number to a file as you will lose it on repair. After repair a window will pop up asking how you want to treat AVG, Click repair and when prompted enter serial number.
14. Check to see if problem still exists.
Go here and you will see the programs people here feel are worth downloading.
With registry cleaners, some will tell you they are vital and others will say never use them. The main thing to be sure of isw that you back up your all your PC and a separate backup of your registry as well before using one. That way, if anything did go wrong, you have the ability to return your PC to its somewhat working state before the clean.